Ph is consistently (too?) high, but need to stabilize Alkalinity

dantltj

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Anyone have the issue of Ph being too high? I frequently read posts from people trying to raise their Ph, but my issue is the opposite. My Ph is consistently out of range of my Hanna checker and just flashes 8.6 usually, so no idea how high it actually is. Though this week I did get one 8.5 reading, so I’m guessing it’s maybe around 8.7 or so? My Alk is dropping about 0.2 dKH per day, so I’ve been exploring some dosing solutions to keep it stable without increasing Ph even more. Looking for some advise on how I can lower Ph, while stabilizing my Alkalinity.
That Hanna checker is garbage (the egg) it always gives me readings of 8.6 flashing

thatmanMIKEson

Reefing ain't easy$
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
What do you base that opinion on?
My own experience and opinion.

But the manufacturer gives a range of accuracy, for the result.

But if you preform the test in the exact same procedure every time for example: the ph tester was already explained how squeeze pressure , will make a difference on readings, but from test to test what is the change, if you get 8.6ph two days in a row with the same procedure, id say its a good chance ph didn't change, not that your ph is exactly 8.6..other testers have more procedures wich leaves more room for variation in testing procedure. This could help make the tester look like garbage but they are hobby grade right, they just get us close and possibly able to notice trends.

Alkalinity tester example: i use the same covett every every time and fill it to the exact level, I use the same syringe for reagent with a visual mark. If my test to test numbers are the same the actual number doesn't matter until its way off from where I think it should be, then if it is i use another means of testing to verify what i think is going on. I know it could easily be a point or two off but the range is important, just because its a x.xx value doesn't mean its exactly on point, thats the reason for the manufacturer putting a +/- value on it.

This is my opinion, but I have no issues with their testers and don't believe them to be garbage, but I do believe they can be a good tool if used correctly they will do just fine to keep your water in range.

Randy Holmes-Farley

Reef Chemist
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
My own experience and opinion.

But the manufacturer gives a range of accuracy, for the result.

But if you preform the test in the exact same procedure every time for example: the ph tester was already explained how squeeze pressure , will make a difference on readings, but from test to test what is the change, if you get 8.6ph two days in a row with the same procedure, id say its a good chance ph didn't change, not that your ph is exactly 8.6..other testers have more procedures wich leaves more room for variation in testing procedure. This could help make the tester look like garbage but they are hobby grade right, they just get us close and possibly able to notice trends.

Alkalinity tester example: i use the same covett every every time and fill it to the exact level, I use the same syringe for reagent with a visual mark. If my test to test numbers are the same the actual number doesn't matter until its way off from where I think it should be, then if it is i use another means of testing to verify what i think is going on. I know it could easily be a point or two off but the range is important, just because its a x.xx value doesn't mean its exactly on point, thats the reason for the manufacturer putting a +/- value on it.

This is my opinion, but I have no issues with their testers and don't believe them to be garbage, but I do believe they can be a good tool if used correctly they will do just fine to keep your water in range.

Your own experience and opinion is based on one or a few of each of these devices that you have owned.

Others have different experiences with different devices, and I don't think you have knowledge of whether they ALL performed the test incorrectly or not.

IMO, a better way to state your claim might be:

"If the Hanna eggs are used correctly they are great, if not they are often called garbage"

changes to

"When I use the Hanna eggs, I think they are great. I cannot be sure why others have issues with some of them, but I think it is because they are not using them correctly".

thatmanMIKEson

Reefing ain't easy$
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Your own experience and opinion is based on one or a few of each of these devices that you have owned.

Others have different experiences with different devices, and I don't think you have knowledge of whether they ALL performed the test incorrectly or not.

"If the Hanna eggs are used correctly they are great, if not they are often called garbage"

changes to

"When I use the Hanna eggs, I think they are great. I cannot be sure why others have issues with some of them, but I think it is because they are not using them correctly".
Yes English and sentence forming is not my strong suit, but yes that sounds better and less offensive, which is not my intention

fryman

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Turns out the issue was my reagent. I bought fresh reagent and have been consistently getting readings of 8.2-8.4 since.
That's common but I'm not sure what use you have from these readings. Basically accepting results when it gives something expected, and rejecting otherwise?

Accuracy of the HI780 is laughable with huge error bars. I've checked using a calibrated probe and it can be off by +/-0.2 pH, which actually aligns with hanna's published specs. So an 8.2 reading could be anywhere between 8.0 to 8.4. This is useless to me.

There are calibrated probes which are much better options. Something from pinpoint or milwaukee, or one of hanna's other ph probes (the pen-type instruments).

I'm sorry but the hanna egg (model HI780) seems questionable value to me. I'm trying really hard not to call it "garbage" but that's probably where mine will end up :grinning-face-with-sweat:

Last edited:

thatmanMIKEson

Reefing ain't easy$
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0

changes to

That must have really moved you, you gave me more unsolicited help/direction with that matter than some past chemistry questions, where I've had to decifer the code in your answer, thanks for the help once again randy!

Randy Holmes-Farley

Reef Chemist
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Turns out the issue was my reagent. I bought fresh reagent and have been consistently getting readings of 8.2-8.4 since.

It is somewhat surprising how many tines Hanna reagents are a issue. Lasse has a thread on keeping them in the fridge to make them last longer.

Randy Holmes-Farley

Reef Chemist
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
That must have really moved you, you gave me more unsolicited help/direction with that matter than some past chemistry questions, where I've had to decifer the code in your answer, thanks for the help once again randy!

lol

Reefing threads: Do you wear gear from reef brands?

• I wear reef gear everywhere.

Votes: 17 14.8%
  • I wear reef gear primarily at fish events and my LFS.

Votes: 6 5.2%
  • I wear reef gear primarily for water changes and tank maintenance.

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • I wear reef gear primarily to relax where I live.

Votes: 18 15.7%
  • I don’t wear gear from reef brands.

Votes: 66 57.4%
  • Other.

Votes: 8 7.0%
Back