Ph now at 8.64.

CubsFan

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Adjusting my ca and alk. Needed a big alk boost and raised the ph from my normal 8.1-8.3 to 8.64. Should I bother to get it down or will it work itself out?

OP
OP
CubsFan

CubsFan

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Yup. I have an 8.1 to 8.3 fluctuation normally. I’m happy with that. My issue was is the sudden raise from that to the 8.64 after boosting the alk. Tank looks the same. Reef calculator warns about a change by +or- .2 ph. Thanks.

GK3

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
2   0   0
Yup. I have an 8.1 to 8.3 fluctuation normally. I’m happy with that. My issue was is the sudden raise from that to the 8.64 after boosting the alk. Tank looks the same. Reef calculator warns about a change by +or- .2 ph. Thanks.
Dosing anything to boost alk will raise your pH. You can’t quickly increase your alk without that happening. Chemi pure isn’t going to stabilize the ph if you did a large dose. If you need to increase your alk, dose small quantities over several hours, don’t dose all at once.

OP
OP
CubsFan

CubsFan

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Dosing anything to boost alk will raise your pH. You can’t quickly increase your alk without that happening. Chemi pure isn’t going to stabilize the ph if you did a large dose. If you need to increase your alk, dose small quantities over several hours, don’t dose all at once.
Thanks. This is something that I’ve already done. The ph is at 8.64. I’m wondering if I should do something to lower the ph. My target was ca at 420 and alk at 8.0. Reef calculator said that the alk I added would get me to those numbers. I added it too fast.

I’m not adding anything like chemi pure. Currently running no carbon or phosban.

just wondering if the 8.64 will fix itself or if I should take steps to get it lower.

aggrofish

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Use bicarbonate next time for a bigger adjustment it won’t spike your PH like carbonate. I add 50 ml at a time and it moves DKH .3. For everyday dosing I use Red Sea which is carbonate but it’s broken up into 8 doses a day. If I added 50ml of that at once like I do with the other my ph would be like yours

OP
OP
CubsFan

CubsFan

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I thought those were your pH levels.
My daily levels have been 8.1-8.3. I added the alk supplement too fast chasing the numbers I was shooting for. I went from 8.2 earlier today to 8.64 after adding the alk. Ph is steady at 8.63. Tank looks fine. If it was 8.5 I wouldn’t be concerned, but it did rise pretty fast.

I think I’ll just ride it out. Doors and windows closed soon and nighttime approaching. Thanks.

aggrofish

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
My daily levels have been 8.1-8.3. I added the alk supplement too fast chasing the numbers I was shooting for. I went from 8.2 earlier today to 8.64 after adding the alk. Ph is steady at 8.63. Tank looks fine. If it was 8.5 I wouldn’t be concerned, but it did rise pretty fast.

I think I’ll just ride it out. Doors and windows closed soon and nighttime approaching. Thanks.
He’s asking how much you raised your alkalinity. We know adding alkalinity increased your PH, but how much alkalinity did you add?

OP
OP
CubsFan

CubsFan

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
He’s asking how much you raised your alkalinity. We know adding alkalinity increased your PH, but how much alkalinity did you add?
Are you looking for 8.64-8.2=.44? This thread is like a whos on first skit.

I used the reef calculator to figure out the amount to get my numbers. It was about 20 tsp in ~55 gallons. Esv b ionic. Alk from 4.2- 8

I know the added alk raised the ph.

EeyoreIsMySpiritAnimal

Just another girl who likes fish
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Are you looking for 8.64-8.2=.44? This thread is like a whos on first skit.

I used the reef calculator to figure out the amount to get my numbers. It was about 20 tsp in ~55 gallons. Esv b ionic. Alk from 4.2- 8

I know the added alk raised the ph.
So you raised your Alk from 4.2 to 8 in one day??

Back