Ph now at 8.64.

Spare time

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Dosing anything to boost alk will raise your pH. You can’t quickly increase your alk without that happening. Chemi pure isn’t going to stabilize the ph if you did a large dose. If you need to increase your alk, dose small quantities over several hours, don’t dose all at once.

You can use bicarbonate to raise the alk without raising the pH

OP
OP
CubsFan

CubsFan

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Ph back around normal this morning. 8.15. Lights are out. I’ll post later how everything is looking. Thanks all.

neo1738

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Way I see it is the mistake was made, they know they made a mistake let's not beat the dead horse. Best way to increase Alk is add to your ATO so it slowly gets added in over time. Just remember, nothing in reefing should happen fast. If you think raising Alk 4 pts in one day is fast (most would) than research or think it through and do it slower. No harm in slowing down. Good luck.

OP
OP
CubsFan

CubsFan

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Exactly!! OP, what made you think you "had to make such a big adjustment" at all, let alone all at once?
Hi. My question was about the ph. I wanted to provide some context so I said what I was doing.

The full story is that I’m using the reef calculator to get the numbers. Since I don’t know the exact volume of the tank I undershot to play it safe. My current numbers are alk 6.1 ca 430 mag 1380. My ph is 8.24.

I’m comfortable raising the alk by 2. Probably worked out that I added one and then added another an hour later. Of course this thread never asked about my alkalinity.

Plan is still to get alk to 8. On my way.

Thanks for everyone’s help and the other stuff. Sure is fun.

Caring for your picky eaters: What do you feed your finicky fish?

• Live foods

Votes: 14 28.6%
  • Frozen meaty foods

Votes: 40 81.6%
  • Soft pellets

Votes: 7 14.3%
  • Masstick (or comparable)

Votes: 3 6.1%
  • Other

Votes: 2 4.1%
Back