PH of 7.7?

Floyd-

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Im still new to the reefing stuff so now im really looking into water parameters.
I was concerned that my PH was 7.7 when checked with a Hanna checker.
This is on a JBJ45 AIO tank with 3 fish bit of various coral. I have a tiny skimmer on there but im debating taking it out because it doesnt catch much and just overflows all the time. Alk was at 7.2 the other day I tested. Water temp in the tank sadly is a bit high 81-82f most the day (FL temps)

OP
OP
Floyd-

Floyd-

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0

Randy Holmes-Farley

Reef Chemist
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
This reading (7.7) was at almost noon

Yes its the solid glass lid that came with the tank.

With a Hanna checker

Did you do a two point calibration before using it?

If accurate, there is excessive CO2 in the water, and is low enough that I would try to raise it.

FWIW, this article details a variety of ways to increase pH:

TastesLikeChicken

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I would focus on increasing your alk first (to about 9 or 10 and do it slowly over several days to weeks) and then see if your pH improves. Even if you correct pH and alk is low, the pH will drop again.

Randy Holmes-Farley

Reef Chemist
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I would focus on increasing your alk first (to about 9 or 10 and do it slowly over several days to weeks) and then see if your pH improves. Even if you correct pH and alk is low, the pH will drop again.

An alkalinity of 7.2 dKH is not low, and is not a cause of low pH. An alk of 7.2 dKH is higher than the ocean at 35 ppt salinity, and that has a pH above 8.1 at normal CO2 levels.

TastesLikeChicken

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
An alkalinity of 7.2 dKH is not low, and is not a cause of low pH. An alk of 7.2 dKH is higher than the ocean at 35 ppt salinity, and that has a pH above 8.1 at normal CO2 levels.
Yes. The ocean has alk of 7. But that is a large volume environment, so the buffering capacity is maintained. In the small volume of an aquarium, an alk of 7 would not allow for much buffering capacity in the setting of acidic loads like CO2. Therefore a higher alk is preferable to maintain a safety net with respect to the buffering capacity and maintenance of pH.

Randy Holmes-Farley

Reef Chemist
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Yes. The ocean has alk of 7. But that is a large volume environment, so the buffering capacity is maintained. In the small volume of an aquarium, an alk of 7 would not allow for much buffering capacity in the setting of acidic loads like CO2. Therefore a higher alk is preferable to maintain a safety net with respect to the buffering capacity and maintenance of pH.

I do agree higher alkalinity at the same CO2 level will result in a somewhat higher pH, and if the CO2 level increases later, higher alk will buffer against the pH drop more.

But it is misleading to suggest, as you did, that "Even if you correct pH and alk is low, the pH will drop again."

If he corrects pH in most of the best ways, such as by bringing in fresher air to the room or lower CO2 air to his skimmer, or removes CO2 by using high pH alk additives every day, it will not "drop again".

TastesLikeChicken

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I do agree higher alkalinity at the same CO2 level will result in a somewhat higher pH, and if the CO2 level increases later, higher alk will buffer against the pH drop more.

But it is misleading to suggest, as you did, that "Even if you correct pH and alk is low, the pH will drop again."

If he corrects pH in most of the best ways, such as by bringing in fresher air to the room or lower CO2 air to his skimmer, or removes CO2 by using high pH alk additives every day, it will not "drop again".
Your correct. I probably should have said the pH MAY drop again.

OP
OP
Floyd-

Floyd-

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Did you do a two point calibration before using it?
It has been calibrated with a two point. I do not know the last time it was calibrated. Ill re-calibrate again tonight and see if its off.
A glass lid is nice to limit evap...but thay also limits air exchange which can depress ph and keep temps higher
I have had it pushed back maybe 3 inches to help. This tank doesnt evap much at all. My 5 gallon ATO might last a month before a refill.

OP
OP
Floyd-

Floyd-

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Recalibrated and at 6pm with windows open I got 7.9PH.
Its a start. Also recalibrated my salinity/temp meter and found out that im also at 1.023 instead of 1.025 where it was.

Creating a strong bulwark: Did you consider floor support for your reef tank?

• I put a major focus on floor support.

Votes: 53 40.2%
  • I put minimal focus on floor support.

Votes: 27 20.5%
  • I put no focus on floor support.

Votes: 48 36.4%
  • Other.

Votes: 4 3.0%
Back