pH probe going bad?

Reefltx

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I have an apex controller with pH probe that's about 6 months old. I recently calibrated the probe about a week ago. I noticed today that the readings is jumping up & down (8.10,8.13,8.11).. Etc

I have it in the same chamber with my temp probe, ground probe, and chiller pump. I also noticed if I move it in a diff. Chamber in the sump, I get a very different reading.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

redfishbluefish

Stay Positive, Stay Productive
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
First thing I’d check is stray voltage. Make sure you unplug grounding probes, if you’re using them, before measuring stray voltage. Stray voltage will cause erratic reading of pH.

Second point, has the probe ever been submerged. pH probes cannot be submerged…it will ruin them.

Third point is that you might want to soak the probe in vinegar overnight, followed by a good rinse, and recalibration.

OP
OP
Reefltx

Reefltx

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Okay, my brother suggested I test the probe by using a cup filled with tank water and placing the probe in it outside of the tank. Well, it fluctuated like before, but this time it gave me a high reading (8.88,8.99). It fluctuated every few secs or so, I'm guessing this confirms the probe is bad?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Going off the ledge: Would you be interested in a drop off aquarium?

• I currently have a drop off style aquarium

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • I don’t currently have a drop off style aquarium, but I have in the past.

Votes: 1 1.7%
  • I haven’t had a drop off style aquarium, but I plan to in the future.

Votes: 8 13.3%
  • I am interested in a drop off style aquarium, but have no plans to add one in the future.

Votes: 25 41.7%
  • I am not interested in a drop off style aquarium.

Votes: 24 40.0%
  • Other.

Votes: 2 3.3%
Back