PH Probe

puccie1

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Had a quartine tank set up with ph probe apparently the last fish I placed in there had a real bad parasite etc infection not noticeable to the naked eye since then 30 days ago I have placed several new fish in quarantine after cleaning it with bleach and water. Apparently what been killing my fish lived through my cleaning effort. Well placed a nice purchased fish again in cleaned aquarium and it died instantly or unexpected in 1 day. This was a 9 inch lunar wrasse heathy as can be, my question is Im throwing out the 40 gallon tank along with box filter and all but want to keep my ph probe.

What can I clean the probe with that will kill anything that's remaining on it from the aquarium.
Thank You

vetteguy53081

Well known Member and monster tank lover
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
13   0   0
Had a quartine tank set up with ph probe apparently the last fish I placed in there had a real bad parasite etc infection not noticeable to the naked eye since then 30 days ago I have placed several new fish in quarantine after cleaning it with bleach and water. Apparently what been killing my fish lived through my cleaning effort. Well placed a nice purchased fish again in cleaned aquarium and it died instantly or unexpected in 1 day. This was a 9 inch lunar wrasse heathy as can be, my question is Im throwing out the 40 gallon tank along with box filter and all but want to keep my ph probe.

What can I clean the probe with that will kill anything that's remaining on it from the aquarium.
Thank You
vinegar and water or better would be Hanna Probe cleaner solution.
How was fish acclimated and for how long and it may have been a good idea to quarantine it first.

Jay Hemdal

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0

Thank You

There is no infective disease that will kill a fish within 24 hours of being added to an infected tank. That wrasse either had a pre-existing issue, or it had a problem with acclimation.

Jay

MnFish1

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0

Thank You
A couple quick comments First - you shouldn't have to throw away anything. Second Bleach is easily removed with a thiosulfate solution. Third - to kill parasites you need to make sure you have the correct length of time that you're cleaning (in other words - (there are a couple different protocols - but I usually use a 9:1 (Water:Bleach) solution - and let the aquarium, and filter run. Some use a 5:1 solution (Water:Bleach) This is usually more effective than vinegar (though both will work) according to some sources.

After this, you let the tank run (as long as you want) perhaps 24 hours.

There are many ways to clean a pH probe - you can also use bleach for this as well. HOWEVER, you often do not want to leave a pH probe in a strongly basic solution like bleach so I would leave this for only 1 hours or so - then rinse with water or thiosulfate with water, with a final water rinse - and re-calibrate.

After the 24 hours, rinse everything, get a bottle of cheap thiosulfate and fill the tank and , filter with water, and add a triple (or more) dose of thiosulfate. You can get a chlorine residual test as well - which will tell you when the chlorine level is fine. You may need to repeat this process (with the thiosulfate to neutralize the bleach) - though I've not found it necessary. Y

If your probe is older than 2-3 years - you may want to just replace it (as recommended by the manufacturer).

Reefing threads: Do you wear gear from reef brands?

• I wear reef gear everywhere.

Votes: 27 15.3%
  • I wear reef gear primarily at fish events and my LFS.

Votes: 11 6.3%
  • I wear reef gear primarily for water changes and tank maintenance.

Votes: 1 0.6%
  • I wear reef gear primarily to relax where I live.

Votes: 24 13.6%
  • I don’t wear gear from reef brands.

Votes: 101 57.4%
  • Other.

Votes: 12 6.8%
Back