pH probes

Steved350

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
So I need to purchase 2 new pH probes. Need recommendations on brand. I've used Neptunes pH probes in the past and have had no issue out of them but at twice the cost of other brand probes. One of the probes will be the tank pH and the other will be CalRx pH. If I went with one Neptune pH probe and the second probe from another brand which one would you run in the CalRx?

Thanks for the help

Steve

RamsReef

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
The cheapest ones from ebay.

Id use the best one you have in the calc reactor though, it is used for control. The tank one is really just gravy.

bblumberg

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Milwaukee gel filled pH electrodes. These are good and stable over time. We replace them about once a year in our frog facility where they run continuously just like in reef tanks. My reef tank is using the Neptune electrodes it came with at the moment. I have a Milwaukee in my calcium reactor.

Generally speaking, you should not need to replace a pH electrode very often. When they become inaccurate and difficult to calibrate, give them a soak for a few hours in 1 N HCl and then in 1 N NaOH. A rinse in distilled water and they should be good as new. Sometimes it also helps to soak in saturated KCl.

Bruce

RamsReef

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Milwaukee gel filled pH electrodes. These are good and stable over time. We replace them about once a year in our frog facility where they run continuously just like in reef tanks. My reef tank is using the Neptune electrodes it came with at the moment. I have a Milwaukee in my calcium reactor.

Generally speaking, you should not need to replace a pH electrode very often. When they become inaccurate and difficult to calibrate, give them a soak for a few hours in 1 N HCl and then in 1 N NaOH. A rinse in distilled water and they should be good as new. Sometimes it also helps to soak in saturated KCl.

Bruce
Thanks Bruce

Rock solid aquascape: Does the weight of the rocks in your aquascape matter?

• The weight of the rocks is a key factor.

Votes: 10 8.1%
  • The weight of the rocks is one of many factors.

Votes: 43 34.7%
  • The weight of the rocks is a minor factor.

Votes: 39 31.5%
  • The weight of the rocks is not a factor.

Votes: 31 25.0%
  • Other.

Votes: 1 0.8%
Back