PH problem in my tank ( won’t go up at all )

Reefcatch

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
First of all sorry if my grammar or English is a bit hard to understand ( not English native speaker)

I can NOT figure out how to rise my PH in my tank and, Here is what I did so far.

My PH is hovering between 7.3 to 7.8 max. So I decided to buy these following.

I bought and setup Kalkwasser reactor and I started with recommending amount Kalk additive amount inside the reactor and, that did not help. I tripled the Kalk additive inside the reactor and that only took my PH from 7.5 to 7.8 at peak time. ( currently still dosing )

Then I bought a CO2 scrubber and it’s recirculating from the Skimmer and, that also didn’t help much as it only and BARELY raised my PH from 7.8 to 8.0 at peak ( ONLY FOR A FEW DAYS ) then goes down again.

And then I said let me switch from ALL FOR REEF to Triton 2 parts as it has the most PH and I have been dosing that for a week now and ALK is at 8.6 and that also did NOT help.

I don’t know … and can’t figure out why my PH won’t go up !!?? :(

By the way I tried opening windows and run a Skimmer line from outside those did NOT have any effect whatsoever.

So anyone having the same problem ? Or went through this and fixed it ?

Tank Redsew XXL900 240 gallon

ALK 8.6

Phosphate 0.02

Nitrate 9

Using BRS kalkwasser

Randy Holmes-Farley

Reef Chemist
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
The pH (if accurate, no reason to assume it is) is likely low due to excessive CO2 in your home air.

Try this test:

http://www.reefedition.com/ph-and-the-reef-aquarium/

The Aeration Test

Some of the possible causes of low pH listed above require an effort to diagnose. Problems 3 and 4 are quite common, and here is a way to distinguish them. Remove a cup of tank water and measure its pH. Then aerate it for an hour with an airstone using outside air. Its pH should rise if it is unusually low for the measured alkalinity (Figure 2). Then repeat the same experiment on a new cup of water using inside air. If its pH also rises, then the aquarium’s pH will rise simply with more aeration because it is only the aquarium that contains excess carbon dioxide. If the pH does not rise in the cup (or rises very little) when aerating with indoor air, then that air likely contains excess CO2, and more aeration with that same air will not solve the low pH problem (although aeration with fresher air should). Be careful implementing this test if the outside aeration test results in a large temperature change (more than 5°C or 10°F), because such changes alone impact pH measurements.

OP
OP
Reefcatch

Reefcatch

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
sorry I forgot to mention I have already put air stone in my sump
The pump itself outside of the house and tube running through the wall to inside my sump
That also not helping but Im still running it.
And ONLY 3 people live in the house with NO PETS.

Randy Holmes-Farley

Reef Chemist
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
sorry I forgot to mention I have already put air stone in my sump
The pump itself outside of the house and tube running through the wall to inside my sump
That also not helping but Im still running it.
And ONLY 3 people live in the house with NO PETS.

Try the test. If it fails to raise pH with outdoor air, then the problem is inaccurate pH measurement.

Randy Holmes-Farley

Reef Chemist
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I have 2 different PH probs but I’ll try the test
Thank you
And beside that is there anything else can raise PH that I have not done ?

Yes. Do the test first.

Uncle99

7500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
First of all sorry if my grammar or English is a bit hard to understand ( not English native speaker)

I can NOT figure out how to rise my PH in my tank and, Here is what I did so far.

My PH is hovering between 7.3 to 7.8 max. So I decided to buy these following.

I bought and setup Kalkwasser reactor and I started with recommending amount Kalk additive amount inside the reactor and, that did not help. I tripled the Kalk additive inside the reactor and that only took my PH from 7.5 to 7.8 at peak time. ( currently still dosing )

Then I bought a CO2 scrubber and it’s recirculating from the Skimmer and, that also didn’t help much as it only and BARELY raised my PH from 7.8 to 8.0 at peak ( ONLY FOR A FEW DAYS ) then goes down again.

And then I said let me switch from ALL FOR REEF to Triton 2 parts as it has the most PH and I have been dosing that for a week now and ALK is at 8.6 and that also did NOT help.

I don’t know … and can’t figure out why my PH won’t go up !!?? :(

By the way I tried opening windows and run a Skimmer line from outside those did NOT have any effect whatsoever.

So anyone having the same problem ? Or went through this and fixed it ?

Tank Redsew XXL900 240 gallon

ALK 8.6

Phosphate 0.02

Nitrate 9

Using BRS kalkwasser
Which test kit you use?
Many are useless

hoffmeyerz

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
What do you have in the tank and how does everything seem to be doing?
I'm a big believer in if everything is doing well leave it alone. Track the trends and watch for changes from where your tank runs but if everything is doing well maybe leave well enough alone :)
When was the last time you calibrated the apex probe? Mine tends to shift low after 4-6 months.

Reefing threads: Do you wear gear from reef brands?

• I wear reef gear everywhere.

Votes: 20 12.9%
  • I wear reef gear primarily at fish events and my LFS.

Votes: 11 7.1%
  • I wear reef gear primarily for water changes and tank maintenance.

Votes: 1 0.6%
  • I wear reef gear primarily to relax where I live.

Votes: 23 14.8%
  • I don’t wear gear from reef brands.

Votes: 89 57.4%
  • Other.

Votes: 11 7.1%
Back