Reverse cycle pH question

Keko21

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hey All,

I have a bit of a puzzle to figure out- I have macro algae growing in my sump and have it set to a reverse cycle to help manage pH. During the day my pH hovers kind of low between 7.8 and 8.0. Contrary to what most people see my pH jumps UP at night most recently to 8.6!! My chaeto is about the size of a basketball right now so a lot of photosynthesis at night, but should I change my sump light cycle to have it on sporadically during the day to see if I can balance this out? Thanks!

OP
OP
Keko21

Keko21

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
The pH probe is in the sump in the skimmer chamber before the refugium. I've got a small powerhead in the refugium to turn the chaeto, and the skimmer is blowing water where the probe is. In the display I have a Red Sea Gyre and another power head on the other side. One of the four return nozzles is above water to create a good amount of agitation.

OP
OP
Keko21

Keko21

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
If that pH range is accurate, the tank has relatively poor aeration and I might look to increase it.
Any thoughts on how to do so? As I mentioned there is a lot of surface agitation from the return, and I have a CO2 scrubber on a closed loop with my skimmer. Getting a line outside unfortunately isnt an option.

What if I put my sump light on a 6 hour on 6 hour off schedule as it seems the chaeto is really doing good work at night?

Randy Holmes-Farley

Reef Chemist
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Any thoughts on how to do so? As I mentioned there is a lot of surface agitation from the return, and I have a CO2 scrubber on a closed loop with my skimmer. Getting a line outside unfortunately isnt an option.

What if I put my sump light on a 6 hour on 6 hour off schedule as it seems the chaeto is really doing good work at night?

More aeration does not necessarily mean with low CO2 air. The range from the daily low to the daily high is larger than usual, which to me means less than normal aeration with any air. It's not necessarily a problem, but if it indicated low O2 was a possibility, then I'd be concerned.

An airstone in the sump, especially when it is not lit, might help the oxygenation, even if it might bring down the pH high.

OP
OP
Keko21

Keko21

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Yeah…so I’m gonna go out on a limb and say this is a probe calibration issue…
949430F8-D0AB-4BBD-9E1E-7649F3B4155E.jpeg

Reefing threads: Do you wear gear from reef brands?

• I wear reef gear everywhere.

Votes: 35 16.7%
  • I wear reef gear primarily at fish events and my LFS.

Votes: 13 6.2%
  • I wear reef gear primarily for water changes and tank maintenance.

Votes: 1 0.5%
  • I wear reef gear primarily to relax where I live.

Votes: 28 13.3%
  • I don’t wear gear from reef brands.

Votes: 119 56.7%
  • Other.

Votes: 14 6.7%
Back