Kalkwasser questions

Keko21

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
A couple questions on Kalkwasser- im considering this method mainly to get the pH boost. I have a CO2 scrubber on a closed loop with my skimmer which peaks at 8.03 or so but still swings down to 7.65 at worst. Also have a basketball sized clump of healthy chaeto on reverse cycle.

1. After i mix a batch of kalkwasser can i just put it in my dosing reservoir and drip daily or as needed? Does it go bad?

2. I use Brightwell Reef Code A and B and Magnession. Would Kalkwasser replace A or B or both?

3. Could i continue to use Magnession?

Thanks!

Miami Reef

Clam Fanatic
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Recalibrate your pH probe. A pH of 7.6 is uncommon and will slowly dissolve coral skeletons.

Maintain alkalinity within 7-11dKH

You can use kalkwasser instead of Brightwell A and B. Kalkwasser will last several months in a closed container without stirring and breaking the calcium carbonate seal that will form on the surface layer.

As carbon dioxide enters, it will lower the pH, calcium, and alkalinity potency, hence why we close the container.

ANY time that you add calcium, add 5-10% as much magnesium (so for 10 ppm calcium, add 0.5 - 1 ppm magnesium). If coralline is the main user of alk in your tank, use the 10%, if corals are, use 5%. A lot of products, like commercial two parts, AFR, CaCO3/CO2 reactors with suitable media, and my DIY two part systems all add magnesium for you, without measurement.

Reefing threads: Do you wear gear from reef brands?

• I wear reef gear everywhere.

Votes: 20 13.7%
  • I wear reef gear primarily at fish events and my LFS.

Votes: 10 6.8%
  • I wear reef gear primarily for water changes and tank maintenance.

Votes: 1 0.7%
  • I wear reef gear primarily to relax where I live.

Votes: 22 15.1%
  • I don’t wear gear from reef brands.

Votes: 83 56.8%
  • Other.

Votes: 10 6.8%
Back