pH problems? corals dying? here are the easy concise simple solutions

Alpha Aquaculture

Designer Clownfish Hatchery
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Are you having problems with corals dying and you don't know why?

Your pH could be too low and it could be from you breathing around your tank.

I just had another reefer ask me for help with his pH issues and I typed up all of this for him. I decided to post my advice in this thread to help others with the same problem. To start I would buy a Milwaukee Ph monitor (or similar device) and have the probe always in your sump and constantly monitor it. What you will find is that the pH changes from day to night based on the photosynthesis in your tank. When the lights are on and the corals and algae are photosynthesizing the pH goes up. When its dark the pH goes down. Many people have their tanks in a basement where there are rarely people. Imo this helps the pH a ton. Ph issues occcur for me when me and my friends are chillin a lot. When I have a lot of people around my tank for a long time the pH goes down. This is because the CO2 from people breathing dissolves into the water to form carbonic acid. Acids like carbonic acid lower the pH of the water. When enough CO2 dissolves into the water the pH goes down. When it goes down too much it can negatively effect corals and mess with their stable conditions. Most people recommend a ph of 8.0 to 8.3 for a reef tank. In my experience a pH of 7.8 or lower will begin to cause issues and corals can die under these conditions. Something must be done if your pH is this low.

As far as solutions, there are only a few real options imo. The most obvious is to keep people away from your tank. Or keep your tank in a spot where no people will be around. This is tough because we all have tanks to show off to our friends so you don't wanna keep it hidden. Also I find that if there is no one around to see your tank you let it go downhill. How often do you hear someone say that they won't show off their tank cuz they haven't kept up with maintenance and water changes? We need to show off our tanks!

Another option is to add algaes like macro algaes or an algal turf scrubber. I have both on my tank. Many people use chaeto but I prefer red bubble algae because its more colorful. Run these macro algaes on a reverse daylight photoperiod. The idea is to keep something photosynthesizing while your main display lights are out. This will help keep the pH high but might not be enough if you have a lot of people around breathing. You could always have a larger reverse daylight photoperiod tank with more macros. The larger the amount of macros photosynthesizing the more it will help. Sometimes photosynthesis alone will not be enough to control the CO2 from peoples breath. I have had my pH remain too low even when my display lights are on. Another solution is needed.

I next decided to try dosing Kalkwasser. Initially I dosed it out of a 5g bucket with a Aqualifter pump. I had to mix it daily and make new batches every few days. When this Kalk powder is mixed with RO water it must be added slowly to avoid increasing the pH too fast. The goal is to have this Kalk/RO mixture additions match your evaporation rate so no further RO is needed to keep your salinity stable. This 5g bucket method was working but not consistently and it was a pain. Next I began using a Kalkwasser Reactor and a Reeffiller pump. While costly this combo has worked flawlessly for me. The Reeffiller pump can be dialed in to exactly match the evaporation rate of your tank. It takes a few days but you can get it right easily. Other people successfully use dosing peristalic pumps. There are many options out there that are cheaper than the Reeffiller. With a Kalk Reactor you only have to add Kalk powder every few weeks. You can measure the pH of your effluent with the pH monitor to make sure you don't need to add more kalk powder yet to your reactor. The pH of your effluent should be around 12. Run your Kalk Reactor on a timer at night when your pH drops to its lowest or whenever you need it most. My Kalk Reactor has the added benefit of keeping my Alkalinity and Calcium levels right where I want them without any further additions. I use Bulk Reef Supply Kalk because its pharmaceutical quality and the cheapest.

There is another option that is the easiest and cheapest. Introduce fresh air in to your tank room so the air is not so saturated with CO2 from people breathing. This method should be your first option. It works well. You can also use an air pump and airstone to bubble out the extra CO2 from your water. I had a window near my tank and used a small computer fan in it. This fan blew air in right near my air pump which sucked it in and bubble low CO2 air in to my tank. As these air bubbles went through the tank they picked up the extra CO2 that was lowering the pH. This worked very well at keep my pH from getting too low or too raise it once it was too low. Together with these other options a stable pH can be achieved. A stable pH can keep your corals happy :)

I hope these quick explanations paint a picture of how CO2 changes pH in aquariums and solutions for how to keep it from getting too low.

If I have missed anything please feel free to post a correction. Lets help all those who need pH advice :)

Kris

lvsuckerfish

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I am a firm believer of the air pump method...

a cheap one from walmart works wonders and also helps with the ORP!

just add to the sump in a pill bottle to help with the salt creep.

nice write up :bigsmile:

OP
OP
Alpha Aquaculture

Alpha Aquaculture

Designer Clownfish Hatchery
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I am a firm believer of the air pump method...

a cheap one from walmart works wonders and also helps with the ORP!

just add to the sump in a pill bottle to help with the salt creep.

nice write up :bigsmile:

Thanks and thanks for adding input! Could you please describe the way you use a pill bottle to help with salt creep? I can't picture it.

DirectAquarium

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
So all i need to do is breath over my tank all day to lower my PH?? Just wondering because mine is a constant 8.6-8.7 with the lights on and 8.5 with them off and I have a milwaukee PH Monitor. Any other ways to lower it?

condor

CORAL DR.
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
So all i need to do is breath over my tank all day to lower my PH?? Just wondering because mine is a constant 8.6-8.7 with the lights on and 8.5 with them off and I have a milwaukee PH Monitor. Any other ways to lower it?
where do you keep ur alk.

Troylee

all about the diy!!!!!
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
One of the most over looked things IMO is top off water.... I used to have ph problems and after talking to people the first thing they all asked was " do you buffer your top off" I said no.... Once I started doing that mine seem to stay pretty much stable and where I needed it..... Just a quick thought to add....;)

CoralBandit

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
have you had problems with keeping salinity stable while using kalk in your ATO, I use kalk in my ATO and its pretty dilute since my tank evaps a lot. But I have noticed my salinity rise from 1.025 to 1.027 and it seems to stay there not matter how much salt water I pull out of the tank (I have taken a half gallon everyother day for a week) the Kalk + RO/DI is the only thing I can point to, any advice?

Troylee

all about the diy!!!!!
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
check the calibration on your refractometer..... i have noticed mine is a piece of crap and needs to be calibrated daily....:(
im gonna go back to the plastic hydrometer myself...

jordan3548

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
My Alk is 11 its amazing I use to be a pool man and can stabalize a 50000 gallon pool but cant stabalize a 125 gallon reef that should tell people reefing's not easy lol PH rises in a pool add some muratic acid do that in a tank instant death lol

lvsuckerfish

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
for the pill bottle I belive lee saw this on my tank before I left vegas I drilled a hole in the bottom big enough for the rigid air tube to sit and float in and then placed a little piec of tubing and the stone and attached the other end with air line tubing to the pump for mine it bubbled under water but the air escaped throught the top which was out of the water this does take routine cleaning usually when i cleaned my skimmer I just splashed some water on the bottle to keep the salt creep from the hole.

sowellj

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I'll throw in my two cents on pH issues. The OP is right in the carbon dioxide can function as a weak acid and lower the pH of our tanks. Usually this is exacerbated in the winter time when homes are closed up and furnaces are burning. My feelings are that if your alk is an acceptable value and stable, than you are likely fine regardless of your pH reading, within reason. My tank typically runs in the high 7s during the winter (7.7-8.0) and low 8s during the summer (8.1-8.3). I think it may be possible that when folks see strange pH values it may be a secondary issue resulting from abnormal carbonate. Another thing to keep in mind is that the accuracy of some test kits is pretty low, in that a reading of 7.7 could be 8.0.

CoralBandit

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
that is true that the buffer should keep it in an acceptable range, but isnt that only if the pH is actually near the buffering zone? so if your pH is not near the buffers range of effectiveness it wont work like it should to counterbalance the pH change. Does that sound correct?

Troylee - I need a new refract my is a point of sale too, I heard deltech's new one is really good though, and its got a magnified Sal reader so its easier to read exactly where it is.

roshi719

Official fish poo remover
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I agree with the OP tha CO2 can lower pH to an extent. Also to take into consideration this year is the fact that we (at least a good majority of the country) have had an excessively hot summer resulting in the house being closed up with the air running a lot more than a usual summer. This exacerbates the condition.

Alpha- have you considered that because you have a shallow system with more surface area than a normal display that CO2 has an easier time getting in your tank?

nixer

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
a tank that is more open lets co2 out. just like adding more surface agitation, air stones.
your ph will change unless your kh can hold it up.
when kh is used that makes it easier for ph to be changed(typically lower).
we all know that at certain levels of ph alge will outbreak. once that alge takes off and then starts dying it will also lower ph more.
in freshwater when your kh reaches 3 all biological function ceases including beneficial bacteria. the water basically becomes acid. plants will melt..fish will start dying..

we technically cannot see this in saltwater due to agronite,but everything will be dead long before this. most calcium reactor media says to run around the 6.5 point range for it to melt slowly. it will turn to mush lower than 6.

im sure i missed something.

roshi719

Official fish poo remover
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
a tank that is more open lets co2 out. just like adding more surface agitation, air stones.

Yeah, but if the co2 level goes up suddenly (Bunch of people around the tank) after it has already reached equalibrium with the srrounding air I would think more surface area would facilitate faster uptake of the new "higher" CO2 levels. Same concept as addng surface area to remove excess CO2, but in reverse since the gradient would be in reverse.

nixer

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0

Form or function: Do you consider your rock work to be art or the platform for your coral?

• Primarily art focused.

Votes: 18 7.8%
  • Primarily a platform for coral.

Votes: 40 17.4%
  • A bit of each - both art and a platform.

Votes: 155 67.4%
  • Neither.

Votes: 11 4.8%
  • Other.

Votes: 6 2.6%
Back