Ph question

kframe

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
For a few months I've been checking my ph levels religiously. My ph has always ranged around 8.1. I would prefer it to be a little higher to give me some time in case something where to go wrong and I would have plenty of time to catch it. So I started dosing my ph trying to get it a little higher. I would like it to be stable at the 8.3 range. For some reason I dose it and I check it the next day and it still reads 8.1. Today I checked it again an it's 8.0. Why can't I get my ph to raise? Is their something else I should be doing or checking that's effecting it to not raise?

MarineDepot

Build a Better Aquarium
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
It could be excess CO2 in your fish tank room. Try opening a window or door for some fresh air. pH of 8.1 is perfectly acceptable though, I wouldn't bother forcing your pH to raise if your tank is doing well.

Dan

redfishbluefish

Stay Positive, Stay Productive
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
You don't have a pH problem!!! Or better yet, I'll give you the fix for your problem: Take a hammer and carefully place your pH probe on a hard surface. With the hammer in your dominant hand, pound the crap out of your probe. Now take a hand broom and dustpan and sweep up the pieces and throw them in your trash. Problem solved!

If you maintain proper alk and calc levels (and assuming you don't have a CO2 problem in the house), pH will take care of itself. I don't know why so many people freak out over what they think is a problem. I've seen tanks that were beautiful at pH of 7.8.

Eric B

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I would not chase/worry the PH number like the above posters stated as long as CA, Mag and Alk are in line. That PH number is fine as mine usually ranges from 7.9 to 8.1 at different times through the year.

poorish idol

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I'm glad u two above stated that I. Reference to pH and a pH meter..I was thinking about getting one..but they are so darn expensive for what they are......But after hearing u two...I won't bother..will just focus on alk and calk...

poorish idol

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I heard that at night when the lights are off..pH drops..and that drop in pH is quite detrimental to coral growth...can anyone elaborate or collaborate that theory? I plan to drip kalwasser only at night to deal with that.

Eric B

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I drip Kalk 24/7 and also run a CA reactor and you are correct PH usually drops at night but really has not effective coral growth from what I can tell in my tank as long as the CA, Mag & Alk stay stable. Maybe others have had different results!

Zacco

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
pH (Potential Hydrogen) Is a very Important element of water chemistry to understand and test for, as large and quick swings in your pH can cause stress to fish and corals even resulting in deaths in certain situations. pH is one of the aspects of water quality that can also be an indicator or symptom that something else may be off in your set-up. For that reason, I would not recommend anyone trying to adjust your pH with stabilizing or adjusting chemicals as you may not be fixing the potential problem(s) but only masking the symptoms. If anyone is having difficulty maintaining pH, you should first try to understand the cause of the pH problems and address those causes first. The pH that most marine aquarist's are interested in is from 8.0 to 8.4. Often quoted "perfect" pH measurement is 8.3 However, if your saltwater is not 8.3 there is no need for concern, for successful systems can run at 8.0 to 8.4. In fact a few successful systems run at 7.8/ 7.9 without issues. The important part is stability. kframe, you are fine at 8.1

OP
OP
kframe

kframe

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I don't think that my ph is a problem, and it's not something I'm freakin out about I just don't understand why I can't change it? I know 8.1 is good for a ph reading, I'm just worried that if something were to happen and it drop below the acceptable ranges I won't be able to just it accordingly. My ph did drop .1 to a reading of 8.0 and I can't seem to get it to buffer back to where it was. I just want to have control over it if something were to happen. I would like it to be at 8.3 and maintain it at that level so I have more time for just in case purposes.
Thanks zacco for the detailed information!

mike007

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
If you have power heads make sure that you are getting a good ripple on surface of water this will help with co2 exchange. Also during the winter months are homes are closed up and do not get much fresh air. When the weather allows you can air out your home and that will also help. But don't chase ph if it stays 8-8.4. I worry more about alkalinity myself and when it is stable my ph stays right on.

Zacco

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
kframe. My pH was always hovering around 8.0 to 8.1. Until I ran a direct 1/2" air line outside and branched that off to my skimmers. Guess what happened when I ran the line. My pH climbed to the "perfect" 8.3 CO2 saturation inside a house will greatly affect pH levels. If your chasing a higher pH, get some fresh oxygen to your tank via skimmer or surface agitation. You should see your pH climb.

OP
OP
kframe

kframe

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Right on.. I'll start making some adjustment today and see how not works out for me. Thank you all for the advice and information it def appreciated!

Russellaqua

Coral Junkie
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I heard that at night when the lights are off..pH drops..and that drop in pH is quite detrimental to coral growth...can anyone elaborate or collaborate that theory? I plan to drip kalwasser only at night to deal with that.

I believe what is happening is that during the day the symbiotic zooxanthellae are using light energy and CO2 in the water in their metabolism. At night when there is insufficient light to produce a usable form of energy they switch to their stored reserves, using oxygen and releasing CO2. This CO2 reacts with water to form carbonic acid (H2CO3.) Essentially, at night the corals' symbionts and any algae you may have produce CO2, which reacts with the water to lower pH. The effect is noticeable in natural reefs, but is exacerbated in tanks because new water isn't available to wash the old water with a reduced pH away. Unless you have real problems at night there's no need to worry about trying to stabilize the pH. Dripping so much kalkwasser so as to keep the pH stable may in the long run lead to excessive calcium levels.

beaslbob

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I would check the pH just before lights out. Perhaps it's already 8.4 at that time.

Otherwise, to me the most effective means of raising pH is to suck out the carbon dioxide by using live macro and other algaes.

my .02

ritter6788

Coral Fraud Private Eye
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
You don't have a pH problem!!! Or better yet, I'll give you the fix for your problem: Take a hammer and carefully place your pH probe on a hard surface. With the hammer in your dominant hand, pound the crap out of your probe. Now take a hand broom and dustpan and sweep up the pieces and throw them in your trash. Problem solved!

If you maintain proper alk and calc levels (and assuming you don't have a CO2 problem in the house), pH will take care of itself. I don't know why so many people freak out over what they think is a problem. I've seen tanks that were beautiful at pH of 7.8.

Best advice I've read in a while! :D

jesterisdead

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Ph is an excellent indicator of what your alk and calc are doing. Since you don't have a probe for either of those use your ph probe. If you want to go all natuaral gets some pulsing xenia in your tank. The faster they pulse the higher your ph.

Form or function: Do you consider your rock work to be art or the platform for your coral?

• Primarily art focused.

Votes: 20 8.5%
  • Primarily a platform for coral.

Votes: 40 17.1%
  • A bit of each - both art and a platform.

Votes: 157 67.1%
  • Neither.

Votes: 11 4.7%
  • Other.

Votes: 6 2.6%
Back