pH right on point

Sral

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
You probably mean to say that RO water has zero KH, and therefore its pH may swing easily.
Usually it grabs carbon dioxide from the air and becomes slightly acidic. Probably down to pH5.5.
But I think there is no way it will go down to pH3-4, that is too acidic: pH value is based on logarithmic scale depending on the H+ ions concentration.
That sounds correct. I think the acid of carbon dioxide has a pH constant of about 3.88, so that should be the absolute minimum pH it can reach with CO2 alone.

Sral

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
To clarify my thoughts on this to give you an idea why I think you are wrong:

pH is defined as the electrochemical potential of hydrogen in an aqueous solution. RO water as an aqueous solution therefor has a pH value. It is not stable, so will vary from day to day and place to place, but will always range between 4 and 7 since, if the machine works correctly, it is mostly water and dissolved CO2.
The value can't be below 4 much, since that would make it more comparable to hydrochloric acid than aquarium water.

gbroadbridge

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
A
Then I believe you are likely mistaken, or stated it not clearly enough imho.
Ti enfire me tinget iu
To clarify my thoughts on this to give you an idea why I think you are wrong:

pH is defined as the electrochemical potential of hydrogen in an aqueous solution. RO water as an aqueous solution therefor has a pH value. It is not stable, so will vary from day to day and place to place, but will always range between 4 and 7 since, if the machine works correctly, it is mostly water and dissolved CO2.
The value can't be below 4 much, since that would make it more comparable to hydrochloric acid than aquarium water.
yes, i agree with this..

So, can you not see the distinction?

Sral

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
A

Ti enfire me tinget iu

yes, i agree with this..

So, can you not see the distinction?
I can mostly see somebody that is seemingly not interested in engaging with me eye too eye. I tried explaining myself somewhat politely, you answer in a foreign language and don’t return the favor of explaining yourself.
Where I come from that is considered a bit rude.

I can see that RO water has no defined pH value like a buffer solution, but that is not what you said.

Sral

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I think that was supposed to be Latin.
I don't know the meaning but probably something philosophical :)
Well, we don't know and that's the problem and reason why it's rude. The only translation that came up for me was albanian for "You are going to ring my bell." or "Your fire sounds like you". Doesn't sound neither polite nor philosophical.

vahegan

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
The only translation that came up for me was albanian for "You are going to ring my bell." or "Your fire sounds like you". Doesn't sound neither polite nor philosophical.
I think it is not spelled correctly, that's why translators do not work :)

Sral

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Yes, I used atlas scientific for calibration.
I was calibrating with Atlas Scientific's pH 7, removed it and washed with regular RO water (which probably caused that drop, then pH 10 for my second point. It has been steady at 8.1-8.3 pH. Unless I missed something here?

This was all on on the Raspberry Pi 3B+ with Leviathan's Board, Atlas Scientific EZO pH circuit with their isolated EZO carrier board.
Sry to collectively derail your thread.

Has everything continued working since ?

OP
OP
S

SilverBulletPRN

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
No worries, I always enjoy a good debate between ideas.
I messed up my Reef-Pi, you saw how I have I left out in a plastic container. It was a bad idea, salt destroyed it and now it doesn't work, so I'm trying to figure out what the next step is. I just spent a whole lot of money on getting the pH probe because that's honestly all I wanted, but it has been a decent amount of work that... I wonder if I shoulder just try something pre-made.

On a side note....I was really interested in the Hydros controller but me being extremely cheap, found a junction box on amazon that looks very similar ($10) and replaced the cover with a transparent one PLUS airplane electrical connectors.

When to mix up fish meal: When was the last time you tried a different brand of food for your reef?

• I regularly change the food that I feed to the tank.

Votes: 36 24.8%
  • I occasionally change the food that I feed to the tank.

Votes: 49 33.8%
  • I rarely change the food that I feed to the tank.

Votes: 43 29.7%
  • I never change the food that I feed to the tank.

Votes: 13 9.0%
  • Other.

Votes: 4 2.8%
Back