Ph rising in warmer weather

chopper320

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
My ph always runs on the high side but I notice year after year that my ph rises as soon as the weather warms up about this time of year.

I’ve always thought it was supposed to work the opposite and the ph would be higher in winter months because the house is more closed up.

In general my ph peaks at about 8.3 in the winter and in the spring it starts to hit 8.4 to 8.5.

Any thoughts on what would cause my ph to rise starting in spring and lasting through summer?

Jekyl

GSP is the devil and clowns are bad pets
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
My ph always runs on the high side but I notice year after year that my ph rises as soon as the weather warms up about this time of year.

I’ve always thought it was supposed to work the opposite and the ph would be higher in winter months because the house is more closed up.

In general my ph peaks at about 8.3 in the winter and in the spring it starts to hit 8.4 to 8.5.

Any thoughts on what would cause my ph to rise starting in spring and lasting through summer?
More windows open probably

Pistondog

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Carbon dioxide mildly acidifys the tank water, lowering ph. When you open the windows you lower the co2 level inthe house, raising ph.

Randy Holmes-Farley

Reef Chemist
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I’ve never seen any negative effects but I thought anything over 8.3 was considered bad.

No. I ran my tank for years in the 8.3 to 8.55 range. Some studies suggest corals grow faster at higher pH (and alkalinity).

The only apparent drawback to higher pH is more abiotic precipitation of calcium carbonate on pumps and heaters and such.

Fresher air is not ever the cause of excessively high pH. It does keep indoor air from accumulating CO2 which tends to lower pH below normal.

Randy Holmes-Farley

Reef Chemist
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0

ReefRusty

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I check my Ph every week after a water change and it sits around 8.30 to 8.45 im not running any carbon of any sort. If I start heading into the 8.5 plus whats the best action to take or to help reduce? I know 8.5 is still ok bit don't want it to creep up. Alk sits at 8.3-8.5 constantly

Randy Holmes-Farley

Reef Chemist
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I check my Ph every week after a water change and it sits around 8.30 to 8.45 im not running any carbon of any sort. If I start heading into the 8.5 plus whats the best action to take or to help reduce? I know 8.5 is still ok bit don't want it to creep up. Alk sits at 8.3-8.5 constantly

High pH is never a worry unless you are dosing high pH additives. It never gets excessively high in a normally aerated reef tank without high pH additives.

If you do want the pH lower, more aeration will lower it to the point where the ph is determined by the alkalinity in the water. For 7 dKH, that is about ph 8.2. For 11 dKh, that is about 8.4.

ReefRusty

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Yeah ok, have just moved my power heads to agitate the water surface more, Definitely not dosing Ph additives only Alk which is steady at 8.4 over last 6 weeks. Cheers

Randy Holmes-Farley

Reef Chemist
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Yeah ok, have just moved my power heads to agitate the water surface more, Definitely not dosing Ph additives only Alk which is steady at 8.4 over last 6 weeks. Cheers

Alk additives are the main high ph additives we use.

What are you dosing for alk?

High pressure shells: Do you look for signs of stress in the invertebrates in your reef tank?

• I regularly look for signs of invertebrate stress in my reef tank.

Votes: 36 31.6%
  • I occasionally look for signs of invertebrate stress in my reef tank.

Votes: 27 23.7%
  • I rarely look for signs of invertebrate stress in my reef tank.

Votes: 21 18.4%
  • I never look for signs of invertebrate stress in my reef tank.

Votes: 30 26.3%
  • Other.

Votes: 0 0.0%
Back