PH stays low 7.7 tried several things …

arking_mark

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Most likely your low pH is due to higher CO2 levels in your house. However, you should confirm this with cup aeration tests (next to tank and outside).

If your next to tank aeration test shows higher pH then you need more aeration in the tank.

If outside aeration test shows higher pH, then you have several options.

Note that running a skimmer using your higher CO2 air will very efficiently drive your pH down to what it would naturally be in your home.

You should also suspect your pH readings. These may be inaccurate. Most meters even calibrated are +/- 0.1.

I found that Kalkwasser plus a CO2 scrubber skimmer took me from 7.8ish to 8.3ish. However, I used an oversized skimmer to do this.

Randy Holmes-Farley

Reef Chemist
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0

arking_mark

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Answered in the other thread, Copied here:

The pH rise is reasonable, but my concern is the rise in alkalinity. if it keeps up, alkalinity would soon be too high. You may need to adjust the amount of kalkwasser added to stabilize the alk, then see what benefit that had on pH.

Two things to note for Kalkwasser drip:
1. It should be tuned based on your Alk consumption. Otherwise it will swing your Alk fast and eventually too high.
2. You can't drip more than your evaporation rate or it will impact salinity.

Also note that as you increase pH your Alk demand will go up due to abiotic and quicker uptake from your livestock.

I found a chicken and egg problem for my very young tank. To get Alk demand up I needed higher pH. To get higher pH I needed higher Alk demand.

Building with glass and silicone: Have you ever built a tank or had a custom tank built?

• I have built an aquarium.

Votes: 8 12.1%
  • I have had a custom tank built.

Votes: 14 21.2%
  • I have never built a tank or had a custom tank built.

Votes: 41 62.1%
  • Other.

Votes: 3 4.5%
Back