pH struggle

Thrump

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Water parameters: Temp 78.2, Salt 1.025, Alk 8.3, Calcium 460, Nitire 0, Nitrate 0, Ammonia 0.12*, Mag 1220......pH 7.66. Tank is new...start up cycle was in Feb.

Ammonia is detectable i think b/c i have a bit of cyano i am treating and is visibly dying off. Other than during the set up cycle i never had detectable Ammonia. Yet i have been chasing the pH forever. I decided not to use Chemi-Clean for the Cyano b/c it really beats down on other live stock in my experience. I am using a 14 day system called "Dr Tims Waste-away and re-fresh". In essence it is a slurry of bacteria and such that will out compete with the Cyano. It is working well and my corals show no signs what-so-ever of stress unlike when i used to use Chemi-clean. The cyano has turned brown and is thinning out from the sand bed...so i am pretty sure this is why i have a bit of ammonia...so i am ok with it for now. So, my problem....pH........ I cannot get it increased. I am not dosing 2-part or Kalkwasser at all yet since my loss of Alk and Calcium is not significant. It is slowly falling but that is because i have very small amounts of coral...but the falling of Alk/Cal tells me the corals are up taking it and i am getting calcification to grow. My Duncan started 2 months ago with 5 heads....it now has 4 other new offshoots that are growing to new heads. I ran a hose outside the window and direct into the skimmer pump...pH went up a touch...it was obvious when we did an RV trip that CO2 build up from us being in the house all day was contributing to a lower pH...... So, i got a CO2 scrubber and have that hooked up direct to the skimmer....yeah...the media is changing purple and that means it is scrubbing CO2 out of the air before entering the skimmer chamber...but pH is actually declining still. So, i next i am gonna recirculate the air from inside the skimmer cup to the input of the CO2 scrubber to make the air as oxygen rich as i can..... I do have saltwater specific LEDs lights over the sump that goes on when the main tank lights go off. Main tank lights start on at 0900 and ramp up to their full spectrum and intensity at 1045......ramp down starts at 2000 and lights off at 2200. Sump lights on at 2200 and off at 0900.

I am using the APEX pH probe that gets calibrated a every 2 months. I also used the API high range pH test kit which generally shows a bit higher than the pH probe but that test does not seem to be over 8.0. CO2 scrubber is from BRS and i do keep some water in the bottom of the chamber that does not touch the media.

I know water changes can help bring it up a touch...as well as Kalkwasser. But with the slow uptake of Alk/Cal....i dont see the Kalkwasser being dosed enough to ramp up the pH to at least 8.0
23 may - 30 may.JPG

30may - 6 june.JPG
6 jun - 13 jun.JPG

jda

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
You can chase this and spend a lot of money, but ultimately you really only have two choices.

1). throw away all of the stuff and ignore it forever
2). find a way to really (as in really, like actually) air out your house on a regular basis.

Some people post about cracking a window an inch and wondering why it does not work... but I am talking about all windows open with an attic fan or other hundreds-to-thousands-of-CFM fan exchanging air. Depending on where you live, this could be easy or hard.

Kalk can work to drive off co2 and raise pH, but it can also be quite dangerous and one screw-up can crash a tank. Be careful here. Most people would be better off just having low pH than risking this, but some are quite good at it.

Victor_C3

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
CO2 is also consumed by algae during photosynthesis. You could try running your refugium longer. It might take a little while to see a difference, but in theory it should work. I run my refugium from 6:00 PM through 10:00 AM.

Supposedly more house plants in your home will make a difference too. That was a suggestion by another I came across when researching my own PH problems.

To be honest, I’m not really sure if there is much you can do short of spending a bunch of money as was suggested in the post above.

jda

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
A cheap square box fan in a window with a few others open can do a lot too. This does not have to be expensive, but several hours of strong winds or fans is necessary a few times a week, not just cracking a window for a few hours.

Scorpius

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
My ph crashes within 12 hrs of the house being closed up. It's a lose, lose situation for me. I'm using a co2 scrubber to keep it from going to low. It is what it is and I'm better off not knowing.

Brian_68

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Overnight my house CO2 level doubles when closed up and multiple family members inside. I bought a CO2 detector that gives me an idea when I need to open the windows more. I typically have 2 windows open an inch, winter or summer. CO2 above 1000 ppm drops my ph about 0.2 all things being the same. Based on some info. you need up to 100 cfm of fresh air per person 24/7 on an average size home. https://www.greenbuildingadvisor.com/article/how-much-fresh-air-does-your-home-need , about the same as one bath fan per person......

PR_nano

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I also struggle with mine. CO2 scrubber, open windows, 12hour fuge and rarely hit 8. Working from home allows me to open the windows during the day and see a 7.8-7.9 peak.

Question for those using the Apex probe. Do you guys Enabled or Disabled the "Temperature compensation"? I have it Disabled and read there is not much difference but want to see what others have theirs set to.

Scorpius

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Overnight my house CO2 level doubles when closed up and multiple family members inside. I bought a CO2 detector that gives me an idea when I need to open the windows more. I typically have 2 windows open an inch, winter or summer. CO2 above 1000 ppm drops my ph about 0.2 all things being the same. Based on some info. you need up to 100 cfm of fresh air per person 24/7 on an average size home. https://www.greenbuildingadvisor.com/article/how-much-fresh-air-does-your-home-need , about the same as one bath fan per person......
Link to co2 detector you use? All the ones on Amazon look sketchy.

Joedubyk

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
First, there's A LOT you can do. I have tried about 5 differnt things to get my pH higher.

It's TOTALLY BOGUS not to try and get it higher. Corals will hate 7.6

When you get to the 8.3-8.4 range, MAGIC HAPPENS!

My top ways to get me to 7.9 to 8.3

1. Use Sodium hydroxide for ALK
2. USe kalkwasser
3. Co2 Scrubber
4. Take a line from your skimmer and put it outside
5. Open windows when possible

I use a combo of these things. Or else I would have super low pH

People that say "dont worry about pH" never had lower pH and then higher pH. Simply put CORALS LOVEEEEE higher pH

Joedubyk

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I also struggle with mine. CO2 scrubber, open windows, 12hour fuge and rarely hit 8. Working from home allows me to open the windows during the day and see a 7.8-7.9 peak.

Question for those using the Apex probe. Do you guys Enabled or Disabled the "Temperature compensation"? I have it Disabled and read there is not much difference but want to see what others have theirs set to.

Use Randyis DIY 2 part for higher pH. Cheap, easy to make. Will help you get into the higher range.

Brian_68

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Link to co2 detector you use? All the ones on Amazon look sketchy.

Not cheap but you can calibrate it as needed.

Joedubyk

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
5daydix1.jpg

With Randy's 2 part.. Going to need to open up windows in the AM though. I am like many, with A/C on at all times it will crush my pH

When to mix up fish meal: When was the last time you tried a different brand of food for your reef?

• I regularly change the food that I feed to the tank.

Votes: 38 24.2%
  • I occasionally change the food that I feed to the tank.

Votes: 53 33.8%
  • I rarely change the food that I feed to the tank.

Votes: 47 29.9%
  • I never change the food that I feed to the tank.

Votes: 15 9.6%
  • Other.

Votes: 4 2.5%
Back