Ph swings

Robbie_b

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
So my ph seem to be its lowest at 7.8 around 7am and highest at 8 at 6 pm so to keep stable would it be better to dose my alk mix in the morning and cal mix at night or dont bother?

Randy Holmes-Farley

Reef Chemist
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
So my ph seem to be its lowest at 7.8 around 7am and highest at 8 at 6 pm so to keep stable would it be better to dose my alk mix in the morning and cal mix at night or dont bother?

The pH is always lowest at night/ very early AM and highest in late afternoon due to photosynthesis.

Alkalinity is mostly used during the day.

Not all alkalinity supplements raise pH, and many folks thing alkalinity stability is more important than pH stability,

The two stabilization needs are somewhat counter to each other, and a reasonable compromise splits the doses up.

How much alkalinity (in dKH) are you needing to dose each day?

OP
OP
R

Robbie_b

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0

Only dosing for .2 dkh a day

Randy Holmes-Farley

Reef Chemist
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0

Only dosing for .2 dkh a day

That's not enough to worry about either the pH or the stability of the tank alkalinity and can be dosed any time that is convenient for you. :)

Miller535

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
For what its worth, while your ph may not be in what's considered an "ideal ph". it's still within the acceptable range. My tank now during the summer with the AC on runs between 7.85-8.05.

OP
OP
R

Robbie_b

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
For what its worth, while your ph may not be in what's considered an "ideal ph". it's still within the acceptable range. My tank now during the summer with the AC on runs between 7.85-8.05.
That is true im in florida so its always hot i cant wait to see what its like when it is cold for 2 days next yr

Back