pH Test Turns Yellow - Red Sea

Capitol Reef Corals

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hi All,

I just tested my whole tank (haven't in a few weeks). When I tested my pH the test immediately turned yellow and stayed yellow. I followed the Red Sea directions and added 5ml of tank water and 3 drops of their pH test solution. The color should have been dark blue/purple, yellow isn't even a color on the results. Does anyone know what this yellow color indicates? I did the pH test 3 times because I couldn't believe my eyes or the results. Below are my test results.

Salinity - 1.027
Nitrate - 10ppm
Phosphate - 3.06ppm
Alk - 6.8dkh
Calc - 420ppm
Mag - 1400ppm
Potassium - 430ppm

I also dose 1 drop of Lugol's iodine a day in 115 gallons mixed reef. I also do zeovit. But I've been doing these for years with no notice to my pH.

GoVols

Cobb / Webb - 1989
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hi All,

I just tested my whole tank (haven't in a few weeks). When I tested my pH the test immediately turned yellow and stayed yellow. I followed the Red Sea directions and added 5ml of tank water and 3 drops of their pH test solution. The color should have been dark blue/purple, yellow isn't even a color on the results. Does anyone know what this yellow color indicates? I did the pH test 3 times because I couldn't believe my eyes or the results. Below are my test results.

Salinity - 1.027
Nitrate - 10ppm
Phosphate - 3.06ppm
Alk - 6.8dkh
Calc - 420ppm
Mag - 1400ppm
Potassium - 430ppm

I also dose 1 drop of Lugol's iodine a day in 115 gallons mixed reef. I also do zeovit. But I've been doing these for years with no notice to my pH.

Randy has always suggested to use a ph meter that uses calibration fluid.

WHITE BUCKET CHALLENGE : How CLEAR do you think your water is in your reef aquarium? Show us your water!

• Crystal Clear

Votes: 88 42.3%
  • Mostly clear with a tint of yellow

Votes: 102 49.0%
  • More yellow than clear

Votes: 7 3.4%
  • YUCKY YELLOW

Votes: 4 1.9%
  • Other (please explain)

Votes: 7 3.4%
Back