Ph tester

HockeyRooster

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I think want to monitor my ph. I previously bought 2 of the cheap pen types. The first lasted a year and then died. The one I replaced it with never worked.

So should I buy another cheapie? Another option is a used pinpoint with a 2 month old probe for $100. What does r2r suggest?

The thought of having to buy a new probe yearly makes me hesitant to buy the pinpoint but let me know if that’s the best thing to do. Or maybe I shouldn’t worry about ph at all???
Thanks

Ron Reefman

Lets Go Snorkeling!
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
This is just my opinion, and others may differ. But I think a lot will also agree.

Why do you even want a pH meter? Once you have a tank established the pH is what it is. About the only concern anybody should have is if they live up north in a very well sealed house. Then the C02 goes up in the house and the pH goes down in the tank. Other than that...

I haven't tested pH in my tanks for more than 10 years.

OP
OP
H

HockeyRooster

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Thanks. I just thought ph was something I ‘should’ check. I’d rather not spend the time, money and frustration on testing if I don’t have to.
I do however, live really far north (Edmonton, most northern major city in Canada) but we have a new furnace that draws outside air all winter.
I also use reef builder as the only supplement I add to the tank (manually) and it says it maintains the ph at 8.3.

Ron Reefman

Lets Go Snorkeling!
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
That is up north alright! ;Hilarious;Hilarious

Reef Builder may bump pH up to 8.3 when you add it. But in 30 minutes your pH will be mostly back were it was before you added it. pH is driven by C02 and oxygen in the water. More C02 and lower pH, more oxygen and higher pH. The best way to get C02 out of the water and raise pH is to have good water movement at the water surface. That promoted gas exchange between the water and the air. If your house isn't too high in C02, then C02 will got to where there is less (the air) and oxygen in the air will go to where there is less (the water).

Some people even hook up the air intake to their skimmer to an airline that runs outside to get better air!

OP
OP
H

HockeyRooster

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
yeah, lets just say we get a lot of winter.

I have good surface agitation via the wier and drain so I think this along with the skimmer should exchange a lot of co2 out. Maybe I should grab a cheap ph test pen and check it throughout the winter.
I like the idea of an outside air source but my house is so sealed up I won’t be able to get a line outside.

Caption This Contest OFFICIAL VOTING POLL! (make a post in this thread and you could win a prize too)

• "What do you mean?! I am smiling!

• "Did she really just rejoin the ReefAholics Anonymous group...AGAIN?!"

• "Take a look at the new Sexy Shrimp!"

• "I'm funny how, I mean funny like I'm a clownfish? I amuse you?"

• "Looks like your living room is going through the ugly stage"

• "Aghhh! Go put on your makeup before feeding me, please!"

• "You try eating sand and not get constipated!"

• "Everyone, hide! The landlord is coming!"

• "He touched the butt!"

• "They forgot to shut off the RO line and left for work...AGAIN"

• "Get off my sand!"

• "What do you mean I can't say that on a family friendly forum?"

• "My face looking over my bank statement after a reef show..."

• "Kids, you're grounded! Get back in my mouth!"

• "When you see a human with a bucket and know somethings is about to go down."

Results are only viewable after voting.
Back