Ph vs alk consumption

GK3

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
2   0   0
So the ph in my tank usually runs 7.6 at night to 8 during the day. It’s usually low because windows are closed and CO2. Now that the weather is here and cooler, the windows are open. This has my ph at 8.4 during the day and 8 at night. Does a higher average ph drive more alk consumption? I ask because I had my alk at 8 and as soon as the windows opened my alk dropped to 7 with the same dosing schedule.

thanks in advance.

dwest

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
So the ph in my tank usually runs 7.6 at night to 8 during the day. It’s usually low because windows are closed and CO2. Now that the weather is here and cooler, the windows are open. This has my ph at 8.4 during the day and 8 at night. Does a higher average ph drive more alk consumption? I ask because I had my alk at 8 and as soon as the windows opened my alk dropped to 7 with the same dosing schedule.

thanks in advance.
Yes. You will get faster growth of corals and more alkalinity consumption at higher pH.

dmreefer

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I just purchased a CO2 scrubber for my skimmer (went from 7.9 to 8.2) and the Trident started testing Alk a whole point lower. I came looking here to see if something was wrong with the Alk testing but maybe this is to be expected -- but my Coral population is not really that big to begin with.

I'll probably take a water sample to my LFS to see if their tests show any different.

Hope this helps

Making aqua concoctions: Have you ever tried the Reef Moonshiner Method?

• I currently use the moonshiner method.

Votes: 33 19.2%
  • I don’t currently use the moonshiner method, but I have in the past.

Votes: 2 1.2%
  • I have not used the moonshiner method.

Votes: 131 76.2%
  • Other.

Votes: 6 3.5%
Back