pH... what makes it change?

chort55

unregistered
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Ok, so anyone that knows me knows I don't test for anything (very bad don't do this at home ), but I picked up a controller that has a pH probe so since I essentially paid for it I hooked it up.... well I have been somewhat looking at it and have noticed it has changed, typically maybe .05 at most throughout the day (that I have noticed, havent hooked it to comp so I dont have like a full read out of it)..... anyways even these small changes have got me wondering...

What causes Ph to change? Both naturally and through human intervention :)

islander84

Island Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
when the lights come one certain algaes in your DT or sump will intake co2 and release Oxygen causing ph to rise a little...vise versa when lights go out.....thats the main ph swing......now if you setup your refugium light on reverse phototperiod you shouldnt have much of a swing:)

CJO

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
CO2 is the main cause of pH swings. More CO2 results in a lower pH, less CO2 results in a higher pH.
CO2 can come from many places-
  • the fish and coral use oxygen and expel carbon dioxide;
  • you do too, which can elevate the CO2 level near the fish tank and lower the pH;
  • calcium reactors use CO2 and thus lowers the pH;
  • as islander84 said, algae uses CO2 during the day but also expels some at night;
Some ways to raise your pH-
  • kalkwasser can react with the CO2 in the water and raise the pH;
  • you can also raise the pH by using a CO2 scrubber or by placing the air intake of your skimmer outside of your house
CJ

How much do you care about having a display FREE of wires, pumps and equipment?

• Want it squeaky clean! Wires be danged!

Votes: 86 45.7%
  • A few things are ok with me!

Votes: 85 45.2%
  • No care at all! Bring it on!

Votes: 17 9.0%
Back