Ph

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 1, Members: 0, Guests: 1)

Brandonsegula

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
My apex is showing me my ph through out the night drops from 7.9 to 7.4 what can I do to raise it safely?

filbie70

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
You need to look into adding Kalkwasser in your fresh water as you replace the water that evaporates. Slow additions are better so your pH doesn't spike. Look into Bulk Reef Supply videos on two part dosing which is actually 4 parts. Kalkwasser as a buffer, calcium, alk, and magnesium.

GoPitt88

Pitt Basketball is BACK!
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Do you have a lot of coral? Ph naturally falls at night since CO2 is being released into the water by the fish, but not being absorbed by the corals since at night, there is no photosynthesis occurring. Your ph swing range looks typical, but I'd work on getting your ph higher during the day (8.4 to 8.5) so that at night, it dips down to 8.0 to 8.1. I accomplished that by using a CO2 scrubber on the air intake of my protein skimmer.

Zack@BRS

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Some good pointers above already. It looks like your pH is a little on the low side to start with, which makes the normal nightly drop more of a concern. If your pH were a little higher (above 8.0), it might not even be an issue that nightly respiration is dropping your tank pH. In your case, I'd look into the reason why your tank's pH is low to start with, and then you can look at ways to counteract that.

If your alkalinity level is too low (typically 8-9 dKH would be fine), and assuming you have a reef tank with corals, you may want to look into raising your alkalinity and maintaining it by dosing kalkwasser (frequently added to auto top off water) or 2 part calcium/alkalinity solution, with the alkalinity possibly being dosed at night to help counteract the pH drop. If elevated CO2 in and around your tank is causing low pH, you may want to consider ways to reduce CO2 levels, possibly through introducing fresh air to the room, holding your breath (kidding), a CO2 scrubber attached to your skimmer, an algae reactor or refugium run on an opposing light cycle, and again, using kalkwasser. There could be other factors affecting your pH, but honestly for the majority of people I talk to, CO2 is the primary cause.

Randy Holmes-Farley

Reef Chemist
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
. There could be other factors affecting your pH, but honestly for the majority of people I talk to, CO2 is the primary cause.

It is the only possible cause, ever, if alkalinity is normal. The only question is where the CO2 is coming from. :)

OP
OP
Brandonsegula

Brandonsegula

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I dose two part. I dose calcium during the day and alk at night. My calcium is at 440 and alk. Is at 8.9.
I’m going to look at a co2 scrubber. I think my problem may be fresh air my tank is in the basement

Zack@BRS

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
From what you describe, I'd say you're likely on the right track. If you're not already using kalkwasser, you may find that can give your system a little pH boost, and while it has a very high pH, it won't impact your alkalinity or calcium very greatly in normal use. A CO2 scrubber can also have a dramatic impact. Most people will simply set one of these up so that their skimmer's air intake draws air through the scrubber/media before going into the skimmer. In some cases you may not need to do anything more than hook it up. If it raises your pH higher than you want it, you may find some form of controller based pH regulation to be beneficial. We actually have a useful video on this and other ways to combat high CO2 right here:

OP
OP
Brandonsegula

Brandonsegula

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
646bb9e1e1adfa2ddc94a0f63dde037a.jpg

Has anyone tried this stuff before?

Zack@BRS

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Has anyone tried this stuff before?

I'm afraid those claims don't seem entirely realistic. If it's using hydroxide to bind with CO2 and raise pH, that will raise alkalinity slightly, just like kalkwasser would. This will not have a long-term effect on pH, and will raise alk over time. If you want to use something like that, calcium hydroxide (kalkwasser) will add balanced calcium and alk and is probably more economical.

John McKenna

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I have used the Balance product on & off since July. It had no effect on alkalinity but unfortunately it only has a temporary raising of the pH. I do use the BRS co2 scrubber. It has raised my pH from 7.7-7.8 to 7.9-8.0. Not dramatic but acceptable. I have excellent surface agitation but my house just holds excess co2. I think because it's a newer built & well insulated. Drilling a hole or opening a window are not options for me. I think to be successful with a reef tank consistency is the key & not chasing numbers. I do keep my alkalinity higher at 10 dkh to compensate for a lower pH & my corals are healthy.

Reefing threads: Do you wear gear from reef brands?

• I wear reef gear everywhere.

Votes: 15 20.5%
  • I wear reef gear primarily at fish events and my LFS.

Votes: 2 2.7%
  • I wear reef gear primarily for water changes and tank maintenance.

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • I wear reef gear primarily to relax where I live.

Votes: 11 15.1%
  • I don’t wear gear from reef brands.

Votes: 38 52.1%
  • Other.

Votes: 7 9.6%
Back