Phosphate 0.0 today

JUSKIDN

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I was having problems with diatoms in my new aquarium (waterbed 60.2) I cycled in June. Phosphate has been staying around 0.25 ppm or slightly higher with API test kit. I did a 25% water change this past Saturday and added a reactor in the sump with carbon ROX 0.8 and standard GFO mixed together with the amount recommended on the BRS calculator. I also started using a NYOS phosphate test kit I got today and the reading was 0.0 ppm. I only have 7 fish, 2 stars, 2 shrimp and several crabs. I know that some phosphate is needed for coral but wasn't sure in my situation. After 3 days the reactor dropped it that low so should I remove the GFO and just run carbon?? I do love the fact that my water is crystal clear from the carbon. I need advise because i have never used GFO before and wasn't sure how often to use it or should it be continuous in smaller amounts, etc??? Thanks in advance.

Timfish

Crusty Old Salt
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Your post reminded me of something Cjharles Delbeek said a long time ago:

"When I see the colors of some of these low nutrient tanks, I can't help but be reminded of bleached coral reefs. It should therefore not come as a surprise that feeding corals in such systems becomes a very important component in these systems. Though reefs are often catagorized as nutrient "deserts" the influx of nutrients in the form of particulates and plankton is quite high when the total volume of water passing over a reef is taken into consideration.

Our crystal-clear aquaria do not come close to the nutrient loads that swirl around natural reefs. And so when we create low-nutrient water conditions, we still have to deal with the rest of a much more complex puzzle. Much like those who run their aquarium water temperature close to the thermal maximums of corals walk a narrow tight rope, I can't help but think that low-nutrient aquariums may be headed down a similar path." Charles Delbeck, Coral Nov/Dec 2010, pg 127

Southampton ran a system for over decade and one result was a minimum PO4 level of .03 mg/l to minimize the risk of disrupting coral photobiology. Best way to increase your PO4 is just feed fish more and stop using GFO. Beside phosphorus fish poop also provides nitrogen and carbon. Here's some stuff you may find informative, I'm also including stuff on microbiomes as they are essential for healthy coral reefs and corals

"Coral Reefs in the Microbial Seas"

Changing Seas - Mysterious Microbes

Nitrogen cycling in hte coral holobiont

BActeria and Sponges

Maintenance of Coral Reef Health (refferences at the end)

Optical Feedback Loop in Colorful Coral Bleaching

Richard Ross What's up with phosphate"

An Experimental Mesocosm for Longterm Studies of Reef Corals

Phosphate Deficiency:
Nutrient enrichment can increase the susceptibility of reef corals to bleaching:

Ultrastructural Biomarkers in Symbiotic Algae Reflect the Availability of Dissolved Inorganic Nutrients and Particulate Food to the Reef Coral Holobiont:

Phosphate deficiency promotes coral bleaching and is reflected by the ultrastructure of symbiotic dinoflagellates

Effects of phosphate on growth and skeletal density in the scleractinian coral Acropora muricata: A controlled experimental approach

High phosphate uptake requirements of the scleractinian coral Stylophora pistillata

Phosphorus metabolism of reef organisms with algal symbionts

Sponge symbionts and the marine P cycle

Phosphorus sequestration in the form of polyphosphate by microbial symbionts in marine sponges

Dan_P

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I was having problems with diatoms in my new aquarium (waterbed 60.2) I cycled in June. Phosphate has been staying around 0.25 ppm or slightly higher with API test kit. I did a 25% water change this past Saturday and added a reactor in the sump with carbon ROX 0.8 and standard GFO mixed together with the amount recommended on the BRS calculator. I also started using a NYOS phosphate test kit I got today and the reading was 0.0 ppm. I only have 7 fish, 2 stars, 2 shrimp and several crabs. I know that some phosphate is needed for coral but wasn't sure in my situation. After 3 days the reactor dropped it that low so should I remove the GFO and just run carbon?? I do love the fact that my water is crystal clear from the carbon. I need advise because i have never used GFO before and wasn't sure how often to use it or should it be continuous in smaller amounts, etc??? Thanks in advance.
Remove the GFO. It is what removed your PO4.

Lavey29

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
The other posters gave you nice info. If you bottom out your nitrate and phosphate your tank will develop problems and your corals will suffer. You can easily dose either to raise numbers after you remove the GFO. Keep it simple with a bag of carbon only. If you find you phosphate climbs to high again use a small bag of chemipure like one that treats 35g and slowly walk that phosphate number down with good feeding habits. My tank was terrible with 0 numbers. Tonight my nitrate is 8.7 and phosphate is .17 and everything is thriving.

Reefahholic

Acropora Farmer
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Sounds like your tank is fairly new. I’d recommend stopping the GFO and Carbon and letting the tank stabilize. PO4 at 0.25ppm is not very high for a new system.

FYI, the dose for BRS Rox 0.8 is 1 TBS per 10/G.

BRS regular GFO is 1 TBS per 4/G and the HC is 1 TBS per 8. The HC is 2x as effective. Not sure which you are running.

I’d stop them both and reduce your feeding and do a water change to knock it done some if it really worries you.

fachatga

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I run gfo but needed to find the right anoint to keep my phosphate between .05 and .1. I use 3 Tbsp for about 25 gallons of water taking into account the rock displacement. Just trial and error so if you want to keep running it just start really small with how much you use and test often in the beginning

Back