Phosphate and nitrates

salty105

Community Member
View Badges
Joined
Mar 23, 2026
Messages
48
Reaction score
21
Location
Jacksonville
What state or country do you live in
Florida
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Help!

For the life of me I cannot keep my nitrates and phosphates from tanking.

I used to have a 20 gal reef tank and the nitrates and phosphates would not come up with just feeding and bio load so I had to dose. I chalked it up to not having a lot of fish in there seeing it was just one goby And 3 coral frags. This ended up in a giant dyno outbreak.

I have since upgraded to a 100 gal system with
2 clowns
2 dispar anthias
4 green chromis
And my trusty watchman with his pistol

The tank is 2 months old now and the nitrates and phosphates are steadily decreasing. I’m not doing any water changes and the only filtration I got going is filter socks.

20261007_173319_3B91C5A2-BBB9-4F6E-8BE0-1799E59A0426.png

These are my levels as of today. I’ve been working getting magnesium and calcium up (I just started testing for those last week) and I’m also slowly raising my salinity to 1.026

I have an auto feeder feeding three times a day and I supplement with either fish eggs or mysis shrimp once a day.

What am I doing wrong?
 
As things grow in a new tank they will use more nutrients than an established tank. Could be what you are seeing.
 
You're doing nothing wrong; your tank is just using up the available calc, mag., N and P.
Its not unusual to have to dose N and P; I do both. I use ammonium carbonate for N and TriSodium Phosphate for P.

You dont have enough fish in there yet for feeding to make a difference.
 
You're doing nothing wrong; your tank is just using up the available calc, mag., N and P.
Its not unusual to have to dose N and P; I do both. I use ammonium carbonate for N and TriSodium Phosphate for P.

You dont have enough fish in there yet for feeding to make a difference.
Ok thank you! Can I expect some of these nutrients to level out or should I expect to keep dosing? I just don’t think I have enough coral to drain mag and calc it’s literally like 5 small frags. I’ll start dosing nitrate and phos again tho!
 
If you raise the salinity to the ocean average of 35 ppt (sg = 1.0264), both calcium and magnesium will rise by about 10%.
 
If you raise the salinity to the ocean average of 35 ppt (sg = 1.0264), both calcium and magnesium will rise by about 10%.
Perfect that’s what I’m working on first before dosing too much calc and mag. Thanks
 
If you do have to start dosing to keep N and P detectable I've had very good luck with ammonium bicarb and diy phosphate using Randy's recipe. I've had to dose my SPS tank since starting it 3 years ago to keep N and P detectable. I've never tested mag 😉
 
If you do have to start dosing to keep N and P detectable I've had very good luck with ammonium bicarb and diy phosphate using Randy's recipe. I've had to dose my SPS tank since starting it 3 years ago to keep N and P detectable. I've never tested mag 😉
Perfect I’ll do that! And yeah fair enough I never did in my last tank and everything did fine. Guess the lfs guy just got me convinced to buy the test kit and then the mag supplement 🥲
 

TOP 10 Trending Threads

WHAT DOES YOUR REEFING AREA LOOK LIKE BETWEEN MAINTENANCE SESSIONS?

  • Clean and tidy—everything gets put away

    Votes: 4 40.0%
  • Mostly cleaned up, but a few tools stay out

    Votes: 1 10.0%
  • Organized chaos—I know where everything is

    Votes: 3 30.0%
  • Enter at your own risk! Buckets, hoses, and towels are basically permanent fixtures

    Votes: 1 10.0%
  • It depends on where I am in the maintenance cycle...

    Votes: 0 0.0%
  • The tsunami hit. Hard.

    Votes: 1 10.0%
  • A different take... (Post in the comments)

    Votes: 0 0.0%
Back
Top
Home
Post thread…
Market
What's new