Phosphate dosing

dave57

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
So I’ve been dosing neophos in my 525xl for about a week and noticed my phosphate levels have been increasing to 0.2 one hour post dosing 20mL. But then rapidly drops back down to around 0.005 after eight hours.. does this warrant dosing more of the neophos to maintain my phosphates at higher levels? 1 ml brings my phosphate levels up by 0.01 as my tank is approx 100 gallons. And would this highly concentrated dose of phosphates have negative effects with my sps as they’re fluctuating so much (initial increase and sudden drop as my tank utilizes it so quickly?) I want to maintain my phosphate levels at a range of 0.1-0.2 ppm. I’m testing with Hanna ulr phosphorous checker. Oh and I also am dosing kn03 maintaining my nitrates at 5ppm. My tank exports my nutrients so quickly.. even with no water changes. Just running skimmer and cheato refugium and dosing esv two part. I’ve tried increasing my feedings but it just gets used up so quickly I can’t keep my phosphates up.. any suggestions would be appreciated thank you

Randy Holmes-Farley

Reef Chemist
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
IMO, the range from 0.2 to 0.005 ppm over the 8 hours after dosing is likely fine if you do it every day, and I'd keep doing that, or spread it out to 2x per day, half as much each time.

Reefing threads: Do you wear gear from reef brands?

• I wear reef gear everywhere.

Votes: 18 13.7%
  • I wear reef gear primarily at fish events and my LFS.

Votes: 9 6.9%
  • I wear reef gear primarily for water changes and tank maintenance.

Votes: 1 0.8%
  • I wear reef gear primarily to relax where I live.

Votes: 19 14.5%
  • I don’t wear gear from reef brands.

Votes: 75 57.3%
  • Other.

Votes: 9 6.9%
Back