Phosphate/Nitrate issue! Help please!

Reefingmama

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Question: I’m worried my nitrates/phosphate is out of control... here’s my specs:

120 gal DT
30 gal sump
LPS looks ok. Sps is browning and slowly loosing skin (wrong word, I can’t think at 2am while rocking a Screaming newborn)
We did a 25% gallon change today to bring down nitrates and phosphates from 10 and .4 respectively. No visible algae, except a small amount on the glass. Tank was just moved 1.5 weeks ago and is 9 years old. Fish were added and some GSP covered rock was removed and switched out for dry reef saver rock. About 50-60% of the old rock was removed due to pests and unwanted corals. Fish are happy, healthy and eating. LPS looks colored up but SPS is brown.

Salinity 1.025
Nitrate 5 Salifert
PH 8.4 salifert
Calcium 420 api
Alk 9 Salifert (8.1 Red Sea)
Magnesium 1310 Salifert
Phosphate .13 Hanna

We are stocked fairly heavy with 4 tangs, 2 gobies, 1 wrasse, 2 clowns, 2 blennies and some shrimp
AB2E40CD-460A-40A9-B87B-D88B97CDBC62.jpeg

WIReefer

608 MOD SQUAD
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
What do you all have in the sump?

laverda

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I would not worry about your nitrates and phosphates at those levels. I suspect the issue is all the new rock. Lots of people have trouble when using dry rock. You got ride of some pests, but you also removed a lot of biodiversity. Dose some beneficial bacteria.

Aussiemarine

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Yeah the spike would be because you removed the old rock and added new tock. If you removed 60% of the rock then you’ve lost a very large chuck of your beneficial bacteria. You’ll go through a mini cycle where your nitrates and phosphates are elevated whilst your ecosystem establishes itself again and balances out.

When to mix up fish meal: When was the last time you tried a different brand of food for your reef?

• I regularly change the food that I feed to the tank.

Votes: 39 23.1%
  • I occasionally change the food that I feed to the tank.

Votes: 58 34.3%
  • I rarely change the food that I feed to the tank.

Votes: 53 31.4%
  • I never change the food that I feed to the tank.

Votes: 15 8.9%
  • Other.

Votes: 4 2.4%
Back