Phosphate question

jesspal

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Good morning,

I set up my current tank in Sept. It is cruising along and looking good but my phosphates using the Hanna ULR checker are showing levels at 0.6 ppm. This is high according to the research I have performed but the tank is doing quite well. Things are growing well, little to no algae. The tank is a mixture of softies and LPS with a few easier SPS like birds nest and stylo's. I'm new to the Hanna checker's and wasn't sure if I'm doing something or the tank has just become accustom to phosphates at this level. I started with reef life dry rock and a bag of live sand.

Temp: 78.8
PH: 8.2
Salinity: 35 on refractometer
Alkalinity: 8.6
Phosphates: 0.6
Nitrate: hard to tell using Hanna checker
Mag and Calcium are within acceptable range.

Thanks and any input is appreciated.
86AA7958-6E9B-4DF2-B9EC-3A20CC174697.jpeg

CBEC70AE-C206-4199-AF24-293BBE7C63D9.jpeg

Aqua Man

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Which model is it? They can be finicky sometimes. How long have you been tracking po4?

Your tank looks great!

OP
OP
jesspal

jesspal

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
It's the HI774 ULR checker, it's seems weird but idk.

I was thinking perhaps that since it's the ULR model I am not accurately comparing.

When it gives me the read out it says 0.6 ppm on the device.

guylaga

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
It took me awhile to get it right, but make sure your doing the 2 minute sample mix and then the 3 minute count down.

Can you tell us Nitrates?

If your tank looks good, and no nuisance algae problems I would not worry to much.

Randy Holmes-Farley

Reef Chemist
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Good morning,

I set up my current tank in Sept. It is cruising along and looking good but my phosphates using the Hanna ULR checker are showing levels at 0.6 ppm. This is high according to the research I have performed but the tank is doing quite well.

it is not necessarily high compared to some fabulous aquariums:

Rich’s 150 gallon display, on a 300 gallon system, is running a phosphate level of 1.24 ppm, a level at 24.8 times higher than the often recommended .05 ppm. Photo by Richard Ross.
1614785900476.png

Edudek

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Are you sure it’s not the phosphorus checker? My tank is currently at 1 on that which breaks down to .003

reefer7891

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Agreed your tank looks great. Was going to say I was running .25 phosphate according to the API test. I also had 0 nitrates and had a massive algae bloom. When I let the nitrate rise to 5ppm (secret is being lazy) the phosphate dropped to undetectable and the algae began dying off and coralline exploding. Just my experience.

OP
OP
jesspal

jesspal

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I'll keep doing water changes and feeding as I do. I use LRS reef frenzy, usually a piece about the size of 1/2" square. I was using reef roids and two little fishes goniopora mix a couple times a week mixed but has since slowed down feeding this to once a month.

jarviz

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
The Hannah checks can be a super finicky. One thing i learned is try to use super clean water for most consistent results. I wasted so many reagant packs trying to figure out why my numbers were all over the place. So i basically try not test for at least a few hours after any water changes or feedings. Sometimes i'll have random particles in the water, dust, dog hair, etc. that can really throw off readings.

OP
OP
jesspal

jesspal

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
The Hannah checks can be a super finicky. One thing i learned is try to use super clean water for most consistent results. I wasted so many reagant packs trying to figure out why my numbers were all over the place. So i basically try not test for at least a few hours after any water changes or feedings. Sometimes i'll have random particles in the water, dust, dog hair, etc. that can really throw off readings.
I was using water from the back chamber of the tank, also after I did a water change and I bet that alters results for sure. I'll check on the weekends that I work and feed far less due to time constraints.

Algae invading algae: Have you had unwanted algae in your good macroalgae?

• I regularly have unwanted algae in my macroalgae.

Votes: 33 33.3%
  • I occasionally have unwanted algae in my macroalgae.

Votes: 21 21.2%
  • I rarely have unwanted algae in my macroalgae.

Votes: 9 9.1%
  • I never have unwanted algae in my macroalgae.

Votes: 6 6.1%
  • I don’t have macroalgae.

Votes: 27 27.3%
  • Other.

Votes: 3 3.0%
Back