Phosphate reading

  • Thread starter Thread starter Timrpn
  • Start date Start date
  • Tagged users Tagged users None

Timrpn

Well-Known Member
View Badges
Joined
Jan 27, 2018
Messages
502
Reaction score
176
Location
Ontario
What state or country do you live in
Canada
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hi,

I have just checked my phosphate levels using Hanna Checker Low Range, not the ULR. It came back twice at 1.04 ppm. Is that too high? I have no algae issues in my tank.
 
Normally we aim for 0.03 -0,10 if yours is 1.04 then yes that is high... are you doing the conversion properly.....result hanna x 3.066 ÷ 1000 ... sorry just reread your post it's not the ulr hanna ...
 
Yes way to high. Is your glass clean? I know if I leave a smudge on mine it will throw the test way off. It’s best to aim for .02 to .1 The level you have will stop coral growth and brown them out if left unfixed.
 
It's certainly high, but not the end of the world. Some nice tanks have phosphate that high, but may be keeping algae in check in other ways, and may have selected for hard corals that are less impacted by elevated phosphate.

I personally would work on lowering it.

How large of a tank are we talking about?
 
It's certainly high, but not the end of the world. Some nice tanks have phosphate that high, but may be keeping algae in check in other ways, and may have selected for hard corals that are less impacted by elevated phosphate.

I personally would work on lowering it.

How large of a tank are we talking about?
It is a 75 gal tank with a 20 gal sump. I am getting a used BRS dual reactor today and going to start putting in Aquaforest PhosMinus and Carbon. I have phosminus in their now in just a bag, but it doesn’t seem to be doing much, hard to put in a place where there is lots of flow.
 

TOP 10 Trending Threads

WHAT IS THE BIGGEST REASON YOU ATTEND A FRAG SWAP?

  • Finding unusual or hard-to-find corals

    Votes: 0 0.0%
  • Better prices than buying online

    Votes: 0 0.0%
  • Trading or selling my own frags

    Votes: 0 0.0%
  • Meeting other reefers

    Votes: 0 0.0%
  • Learning from vendors and hobbyists

    Votes: 0 0.0%
  • Seeing corals in person before buying

    Votes: 1 50.0%
  • Supporting the local reefing community

    Votes: 1 50.0%
  • I don’t have frag swaps nearby

    Votes: 1 50.0%
  • Other (Post in the comments)

    Votes: 0 0.0%
Back
Top
Home
Post thread…
Market
What's new