Phosphate RX questions

USMA36

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I have a 200 gallon reef. I’m trying to reduce phosphates and found phosphate rx. I started with 1/2 dose into 5 micron socks to bring down from .26 to .05 recommended dose was 50 drops for my 200 gallon total volume tank. I did half and tested 24 hours later using a Hanna ulr checker. It only dropped to .24 did the same half dose again 24 hours later same result. Did the full dose on the 3rd day (today) and will wait and see what happens tomorrow. Are the phosphates bound in rock and sand being released to the water thus keeping phosphates elevated? If so how long can this go on.

How long does lanthanum stay active in the water column? Will it show on ICP tests? Some people swear by phosphate rx and some say don’t use it ever. I do reef moonshiners and Andre is one of those dead set against using it at all ever. I have not noticed any negative effects with wrasses or tangs in my tank.

Randy Holmes-Farley

Reef Chemist
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Are the phosphates bound in rock and sand being released to the water thus keeping phosphates elevated? If so how long can this go on.

How long does lanthanum stay active in the water column? Will it show on ICP tests? Some people swear by phosphate rx and some say don’t use it ever. I do reef moonshiners and Andre is one of those dead set against using it at all ever. I have not noticed any negative effects with wrasses or tangs in my tank.

Likely yes. The reactions seem pretty fast and lanthanum by ICP shows up little remaining.

Reefing threads: Do you wear gear from reef brands?

• I wear reef gear everywhere.

Votes: 36 15.7%
  • I wear reef gear primarily at fish events and my LFS.

Votes: 13 5.7%
  • I wear reef gear primarily for water changes and tank maintenance.

Votes: 1 0.4%
  • I wear reef gear primarily to relax where I live.

Votes: 30 13.1%
  • I don’t wear gear from reef brands.

Votes: 133 58.1%
  • Other.

Votes: 16 7.0%

Back