Phosphate WAY Too High!

ReEfErAdDiCt

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Ok I just got my Hanna Po4 checker and I tested twice. The second time because I couldn't believe how high it was and thought it must be a mistake! The first reading was 1.14ppm and the second 1.13ppm! What the heck!?

I just did a 40 gal water change a few days and I only feed the tank once a day and not even a lot. My skimmer is an Aquamaxx EM-600 rated for 600gals. Tank size is about 220 total gals. I also run Dr. Tim's bio pellets. My top of water is at 0ppm TDS.

I'm going to do a large water change and run GFO in a reactor and see what happens.

Also forgot to mention I run a fuge with caulerpa and chaeto so I don't know what's going on:(

Last edited:

akitareefer

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
testing properly? Cleaning the glass before it goes in? Waiting the 3min? (If its high the water turns slightly blue) Also there are bad test kit reagents out there.

If it is accurate, set up a gfo reactor. Make sure you dont have low flow/dead zones. Vacuum. Also rinse frozen foods

Sent from my DROID RAZR using Tapatalk 4

OP
OP
ReEfErAdDiCt

ReEfErAdDiCt

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
testing properly? Cleaning the glass before it goes in? Waiting the 3min? (If its high the water turns slightly blue) Also there are bad test kit reagents out there.

If it is accurate, set up a gfo reactor. Make sure you dont have low flow/dead zones. Vacuum. Also rinse frozen foods

I clean the cuvettes before each test yes. Also waited the 3 mins both times. And yes the water did turn slightly blue. I'm pretty sure I don't have low flow or dead zones. Return pump is 2100gph and using 2 WP40s in the tank. Really high flow actually.

I have like less than a half inch of sandbed, mainly for aesthetics. And I don't even feed frozen foods lol that's why I'm concerned. It seems like it shouldn't be that high at all. I hope it's not leaching from the rocks or something. They're from my old setup

akitareefer

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Wow I guess it is that high. Have you tested your rodi water for phosphates? I can't believe that much would leach from the rock, but I guess anythings possible

OP
OP
ReEfErAdDiCt

ReEfErAdDiCt

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I'm making some are RO/DI water right now and I'll check it. Only thing I can think of is that I've been feeding the tank a little bit extra because I got a new fish that wouldn't eat but I wouldn't think that it would bring the phosphates up to that level...

OP
OP
ReEfErAdDiCt

ReEfErAdDiCt

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
You know what, now that I think about it I did do something the other day that could have an effect possibly... I was trying an experiment LOL so I crushed up some formula 1 and formula two pellets and made them into a slurry to feed the corals one night. It wasn't a lot maybe like 1 ounce or less of the mixture. Anyway, maybe that could have had an effect?

Duffam3434

**TASTE THE RAINBOW**
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Melevs Reef Makes a Great Product for lowering Phosphates.. Its called Phosphate RX and its Reef safe you just add it drop wise to your water. I bought a bottle a week ago and lowered my Phosphates .5ppm in a single night! The Stuff is Amazing!! Dosn't harm corals or fish!

You can find it at Melevsreef.com

Last edited:
OP
OP
ReEfErAdDiCt

ReEfErAdDiCt

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Thanks for sharing that. Seems like a great product. I've heard that reducing the po4 level to rapidly can be detrimental though?

ingtar_shinowa

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
can be. Make sure you prop in in a low micron sock to remove as much of the lanthum as possible

OP
OP
ReEfErAdDiCt

ReEfErAdDiCt

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Ya I saw that but that seems like too much of a drop since its supposed to take months to bring it down safely without risking killing livestock, hence why I asked.

OP
OP
ReEfErAdDiCt

ReEfErAdDiCt

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Have you used the product? Any real world advice? Lol I know what I could do obviously. Just curious if anyone has used it and how they used it with what results

Eienna

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I personally have not. I did hear a couple of good reviews on it, though. I've got some ordered because I have a pesky .5 I can't seem to get rid of XD if it works for me I'll let you know.

Duffam3434

**TASTE THE RAINBOW**
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I was worried about all that too, I was told by several people it's perfect for any type of tank. I have a Lot of money in Corals in my tank so I was nervous but I dropped it .5 the first day and a few days later added a little more to drop it .2 ppm so now I'm where I should be and corals and fish are perfect! Corals are starting to get a little more color than they had!

Jay6363

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I just got a bottle two weeks ago....... Worked perfectly, dropped mine .5 ppm and corals fish all happy, infact happier!!

It's a great product!

Duffam3434

**TASTE THE RAINBOW**
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I just got a bottle two weeks ago....... Worked perfectly, dropped mine .5 ppm and corals fish all happy, infact happier!!

It's a great product!

Yea I couldn't believe it. I had my doubts about adding it into the water with all my Coral and Fish. But Melev said he uses it on all his Reef Tanks and if you've been on his site their Amazing!! So I tried it out and I will have a bottle next to every tank in the Future!

OP
OP
ReEfErAdDiCt

ReEfErAdDiCt

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Super busy today guys, thanks for all of the information and advice I'll get back to you hopefully tonight.

cultivatedcoral

unregistered
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
The phosphate removal liquids are great for a quick fix but you have to solve the real problem of what is causing your phosphates to go that high. Sandbed/rock leaching phosphates back into the tank? How many fish do you have in your 220? How often do you feed? Are you just starting your GFO or have you been using it? Is your caulerpa and chaeto growing really fast?

When to mix up fish meal: When was the last time you tried a different brand of food for your reef?

• I regularly change the food that I feed to the tank.

Votes: 39 23.8%
  • I occasionally change the food that I feed to the tank.

Votes: 57 34.8%
  • I rarely change the food that I feed to the tank.

Votes: 49 29.9%
  • I never change the food that I feed to the tank.

Votes: 15 9.1%
  • Other.

Votes: 4 2.4%
Back