phosphate

rayn

Bluefin Believer
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I am using a Hanna phosphate checker to keep track of my phosphate levels. I am wondering what test number to use. I can test twice and get two different results. Test a third and it may match the second or slightly off.

Last night...test 1---.08_____test 2---.03
Tonight...test 1---.05______test 2---.01

Which is accurate? I don't really want to blow through the reagent using two per testing period.

Randy Holmes-Farley

Reef Chemist
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Which checker?

Both of them have a stated uncertainty that you should keep in mind, and that assumes perfect user operation.

The 713 has an uncertainty of +/- 0.04 ppm, so you cannot tell which of those values is more accurate.

The 736 has an uncertainty of about 0.015 ppm. If the real value were 0.02 ppm, you could get either reading.

OP
OP
rayn

rayn

Bluefin Believer
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Thanks Randy. It is the 713 I have. Maybe I need to break down and get the other one though. Phosphates seems to be one of my issues I continually run into, I believe it is leaching from my rock.

It is kind of disappointing though that a element we strive to keep low as possible, the tests aren't that accurate. Sure the 736 gets closer and most likely .015 won't matter, but I thought the other meter was better then .04.

OP
OP
rayn

rayn

Bluefin Believer
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Current readings of my tank for phosphate are ranging from .01 to .08. Nitrate is at .3 ppm per red sea kit. I am still having hair algae issues, so it is getting used somewhere. I also just had a sps frag stn recently from the bottom up. After searching for that I read phosphate can be the issue.

Randy Holmes-Farley

Reef Chemist
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Current readings of my tank for phosphate are ranging from .01 to .08. Nitrate is at .3 ppm per red sea kit. I am still having hair algae issues, so it is getting used somewhere. I also just had a sps frag stn recently from the bottom up. After searching for that I read phosphate can be the issue.

At 0.03 ppm or lower, the phosphate didn't cause the STN. However, it might have contributed if the value was substantially higher.

At the moment, it doesn't look like action is needed (IMO), but if you want to lower it or deter the algae, I'd use a phosphate binder, such as GFO, or possibly organic carbon dosing. I also grow macroalgae, but that will take longer to have a significant effect.

Keeping it clean: Have you used a filter roller?

• I currently use a filter roller.

Votes: 76 35.3%
  • I don’t currently use a filter roller, but I have in the past.

Votes: 7 3.3%
  • I have never used a filter roller, but I plan to in the future.

Votes: 58 27.0%
  • I have never used a filter roller and have no plans to in the future.

Votes: 66 30.7%
  • Other.

Votes: 8 3.7%
Back