Phosphate

Hilltopreef90

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I’ve been having major gha issues and working to lower my phosphates
My phosphate was 0.26 a few days ago and now it’s 0.13. I’ve been dozing with NOPOX, my nitrates are about 2 based on the color chart
I used a Hanna checker for the phosphate.
Should I continue to dose with the NOPOX ?

A60F242B-4C7F-480A-A12B-34EEFF90235C.jpeg 703A8AF0-7A7E-4633-872C-B86EE607DA64.jpeg

vetteguy53081

Well known Member and monster tank lover
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
13   0   0
My phosphate was 0.26 a few days ago and now it’s 0.13. I’ve been dozing with NOPOX, my nitrates are about 2 based on the color chart

A60F242B-4C7F-480A-A12B-34EEFF90235C.jpeg 703A8AF0-7A7E-4633-872C-B86EE607DA64.jpeg
My best success with this has been simply adding a pouch of Chemipure elite. It will lower it, keep it in check, polish your water and remove any toxins IF present

jcates

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Used nopox for quite a while and I am sure it helped but it never got me when I wanted to be or thought I needed to be. The main reason I quit using it was the slime that would show up and I never linked the two. I was only using half the recommendation on dosage so it wasn't caused by over dosing it. I've started an algae reactor and just use Brightwell Phosphat-E for adjustment

ShakerBreaker

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Highly recommend a biological solution for phosphates. Algae reactor, scrubber, or fuge. Outside of that, have you tested the water you are using for water changes for phosphates? I fought for years with mine on my first tank, only to find out that there was some in the well water I was using.

jsker

Reefing is all about the adventure
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0

My I have your checker model number please? On my HI736, a .13 converted would be a .040ppm which is right were you need to be at link to conversion chart

Rmckoy

7500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
My I have your checker model number please? On my HI736, a .13 converted would be a .040ppm which is right were you need to be at link to conversion chart
The model he’s using measures phosphates in ppm .
If it were the phosphorus ppb tester there would be the need for conversion .

jsker

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I am using a product call NitraPhos minus from Aquaforest. I have used GFO, vibrant, Pool Phosphate remover, NoPox, and other products. The NitraPhos Minus has worked the best to reduce phosphates without side effects to the system.

I also put online again, bio pellets/carbon dosing. I am waiting for the Bio pellets to kick in and reduce my Nitrates

One other question, how long has you system been setup?

OP
OP
Hilltopreef90

Hilltopreef90

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
HI774
Now I’m totally confused ‍♀️I got the Hanna checker thinking it would be easier to know if my levels were ok. I don’t know what I’m supposed to be at anymore.
Some say 0 others say it’s ok to have some phosphate. I do know my algae problem is way out of control and assume it’s because my phosphate level was too high
I’m upgrading to a bigger tank with a sump and plan to use a refugium hopefully this won’t be an issue again but I still don’t understand what I’m shooting for with my phosphate levels.

attiland

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0

I would go slower from this point you can go too low with a small mistake. I would probably look into algae reactor or scrubber instead.
The picture say it is in ppm. No conversation required.

OP
OP
Hilltopreef90

Hilltopreef90

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I would go slower from this point you can go too low with a small mistake. I would probably look into algae reactor or scrubber instead.

The picture say it is in ppm. No conversation required.
I’m not understanding the purpose of the conversion chart, why I’d need to be converting phosphate or where my phosphorus level comes into play.
Simple question should I be checking my water chemistry weekly/monthly ? And what should I be checking ? At this point I’m only dealing with soft corals and lps with the hope of adding sps in the future.
I’ll be upgrading to a 90 gallon with a 25 gallon sump, none of the rock or water from my current tank are transferring over just fish,inverts and the few soft corals left in my tank not attached to any rock.

Randy Holmes-Farley

Reef Chemist
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I’m not understanding the purpose of the conversion chart, why I’d need to be converting phosphate or where my phosphorus level comes into play.
Simple question should I be checking my water chemistry weekly/monthly ? And what should I be checking ? At this point I’m only dealing with soft corals and lps with the hope of adding sps in the future.
I’ll be upgrading to a 90 gallon with a 25 gallon sump, none of the rock or water from my current tank are transferring over just fish,inverts and the few soft corals left in my tank not attached to any rock.

Well, first, trying to stop algae growth by restricting nutrients is often going to fail anyway. Better options are typically biological control with organisms that eat it, and manual removal. That said, trying to lowering phosphate to the 0.02-0.05 ppm range is a fine action to take.

Second, Hanna makes several checkers with different units. That's why conversion was mentioned. Like feet vs inches.

But yours (in the picture) is reading ppm phosphate and that is what most people discuss and it needs no conversion.

There are many good ways to lower phosphate that all work as long as you use the right amount (not too much and not too little). Water changes are not one of them, however.

Last edited:

jsker

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
HI774
Now I’m totally confused ‍♀️I got the Hanna checker thinking it would be easier to know if my levels were ok. I don’t know what I’m supposed to be at anymore.
Some say 0 others say it’s ok to have some phosphate. I do know my algae problem is way out of control and assume it’s because my phosphate level was too high
I’m upgrading to a bigger tank with a sump and plan to use a refugium hopefully this won’t be an issue again but I still don’t understand what I’m shooting for with my phosphate levels.
@Randy Holmes-Farley has given you the most sound advice above. My phosphates have been hovering at a .04

OP
OP
Hilltopreef90

Hilltopreef90

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Well, first, trying to stop algae growth by restricting nutrients is often going to fail anyway. Better options are typically biological control with organisms that eat it, and manual removal. That sadd, trying to lowering phosphate to the 0.02-0.05 ppm range is a fine action to take.

Second, Hanna makes several checker with different units. That why conversion was mentioned. Like feet vs inches.

But yours (in the picture) is reading ppm phosphate and that is what most people discuss and it needs no conversion.

There are many good ways to lower phosphate that all work as long as you use the right amount (not too much and not too little). Water changes are not one of them, however.
I was using NOPOX but was told it’ll lower my nitrates, I’m probably going to use a reactor and add a good GFO, I’ve tried gfo in media bags and it doesn’t seem to help much.

Randy Holmes-Farley

Reef Chemist
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I was using NOPOX but was told it’ll lower my nitrates, I’m probably going to use a reactor and add a good GFO, I’ve tried gfo in media bags and it doesn’t seem to help much.

Organic carbon dosing (like NOPOX) is not a good way to reduce phosphate and does more for nitrate.

GFO works very well, but works most efficiently in a reactor where it can mix and water can get to all of it. large types of materials (such as aluminum oxide) can work in a mesh bag, but risne it really well as aluminum has its own issues.

attiland

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
The advice from @Randy Holmes-Farley answered most of this.
I would go for weekly tests for most of the parameters at least in the beginning. Later you cans test less frequently wen you see the parameters better and can predict tendencies
I am not a fan of GFO but this is more like a personal preference.

am3gross

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
Do you know where your Phosphates were coming from in the 1st place? My Phosphates have came in from RO water that I have been using. If you dont know the source then you might be fighting an uphill battle.

Mike

OP
OP
Hilltopreef90

Hilltopreef90

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Do you know where your Phosphates were coming from in the 1st place? My Phosphates have came in from RO water that I have been using. If you dont know the source then you might be fighting an uphill battle.

Mike
I change my Rodi filters and resin regularly and the Tdi meter is new.
I think they just got out of control when I got lax with water changes and maintenance and it’s going to take time and consistent maintenance to get it under control

Randy Holmes-Farley

Reef Chemist
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0

Mike

How do you know that was the main source? It is very unusual to have that be the main source, unless it was untreated tap water, despite seeing phosphate in it. Foods are typically far larger of a source.

Comparison of Food Sources of Phosphate to Other Sources
What about other sources of phosphate, like the “crappy” RO/DI water containing 0.05 ppm phosphate? A similar analysis will show it equally unimportant relative to foods.

Let’s assume that the aquarist in question adds 1% of the total tank volume each day with RO/DI to replace evaporation. Simple math shows that the 0.05 ppm in the RO/DI becomes 0.0005 ppm added each day to the phosphate concentration in the aquarium. That dilution step is critical, taking a scary number like 0.05 ppm down to an almost meaningless 0.0005 ppm daily addition. Since that 0.0005 ppm is 40-600 times lower than the amount added each day in foods (Table 4), it does not seem worthy of the angst many aquarists put on such measurements. That said, tap water could have as much as 5 ppm phosphate, and that value could then become a dominating source of phosphate and would be quite problematic. Purifying tap water is important for this and many other reasons.

am3gross

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
How do you know that was the main source? It is very unusual to have that be the main source, unless it was untreated tap water, despite seeing phosphate in it. Foods are typically far larger of a source.

Comparison of Food Sources of Phosphate to Other Sources
What about other sources of phosphate, like the “crappy” RO/DI water containing 0.05 ppm phosphate? A similar analysis will show it equally unimportant relative to foods.

Let’s assume that the aquarist in question adds 1% of the total tank volume each day with RO/DI to replace evaporation. Simple math shows that the 0.05 ppm in the RO/DI becomes 0.0005 ppm added each day to the phosphate concentration in the aquarium. That dilution step is critical, taking a scary number like 0.05 ppm down to an almost meaningless 0.0005 ppm daily addition. Since that 0.0005 ppm is 40-600 times lower than the amount added each day in foods (Table 4), it does not seem worthy of the angst many aquarists put on such measurements. That said, tap water could have as much as 5 ppm phosphate, and that value could then become a dominating source of phosphate and would be quite problematic. Purifying tap water is important for this and many other reasons.
I took a gallon of my RODI water mixed with salt and tested it. The level in my fresh saltwater was .26, where my tank is at .07 and rising. Unless the phosphates were coming from the salt, which I don't think is possible, but I may be wrong. I guess it might not be the main source, but it is definitely a source.

Mike

Clear reef vision: How do you clean the inside of the glass on your aquarium?

• Razor blade

Votes: 149 60.8%
  • Plastic scraper

Votes: 67 27.3%
  • Clean-up crew

Votes: 85 34.7%
  • Magic eraser

Votes: 43 17.6%
  • Other

Votes: 66 26.9%
Back