Phosphates and nitrates dangerously low

Spare time

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Okay. I’ll try out some different foods. I guess either way food is food and it’ll turn into nitrates and phosphates

You can always add some nassarius snails and serpent/brittle stars and they will clean it up :)

Lizzievon

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
@waverider yes sir I am in Lincolnton NC. And thank you for all of that. I’m trying to ‘stay out of the tank’ as much as possible and let it do it’s thing. I do spot feed my corals and they’re all doing great minus my leather coral that got mad when I took him off his plug a couple days ago. I bought my live rock through KP and already have some great coralline on it. I have been to Saltys, I’ve gotten a couple corals from there. Right now my sea hare is taking care of my algae but if it doesn’t get it completely I’ll look into vibrant, thank you for the post!
Vibrant really does help immensely with the GHA.

Lizzievon

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
You can always add some nassarius snails and serpent/brittle stars and they will clean it up :)
I acquired a LOT of serpent stars via live rock, and I'm wondering how much they may be contributing to my nitrate levels..and also if they are capable of breaking down my rock form the inside out...

dmy535

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
It’s all under control now :) phosphates are stable for the most part and I’m dosing nitrates. My tank maturing and CUC have taken care of 95% of GHA
What are you using to dose nitrates? I’m seriously just curious what product and if you’d recommend. Sorry to hijack!

Spare time

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I acquired a LOT of serpent stars via live rock, and I'm wondering how much they may be contributing to my nitrate levels..and also if they are capable of breaking down my rock form the inside out...

I doubt they impact your nitrate levels except for eating decaying food. However I was thinking of the big serpent and brittle stars.

OP
OP
JosephM

JosephM

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
What are you using to dose nitrates? I’m seriously just curious what product and if you’d recommend. Sorry to hijack!
I’m using neonitro and have no complaints. I plan on switching to food grade sodium nitrate when I’m done with the bottle.

EuphylliaAddict

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I'd say feed a little more and remove some cheato, maybe send that seahare my way when you're done with him.

OP
OP
JosephM

JosephM

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I'd say feed a little more and remove some cheato, maybe send that seahare my way when you're done with him.
I am feeding 1-2 frozen feedings and multiple times of flakes and gave away all my chaeto until now I only have a golf ball size and it still wasn’t budging. Dosing was my last resort. And it’s getting close to time to move him because I’m running out of algae lol

EuphylliaAddict

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I am feeding 1-2 frozen feedings and multiple times of flakes and gave away all my chaeto until now I only have a golf ball size and it still wasn’t budging. Dosing was my last resort. And it’s getting close to time to move him because I’m running out of algae lol
I have a 180g DT for him to move sand in, lol. Anyway I'd say you could turn the skimmer off for a day or 2 and see what that does, maybe cut the lights off in refugium for a day or so also. I had this issue and this is what I did. I also added reef roids into my food once a day and po4 shot up to 0.11 in like 3 days time, I am now adding vinegar to get the bacteria to clean it slowly back down to near zero. Hopefully something helps here, I'd start with lights and skimmer off, see what that does by Friday. Good luck.

Rock solid aquascape: Does the weight of the rocks in your aquascape matter?

• The weight of the rocks is a key factor.

Votes: 10 8.1%
  • The weight of the rocks is one of many factors.

Votes: 43 34.7%
  • The weight of the rocks is a minor factor.

Votes: 39 31.5%
  • The weight of the rocks is not a factor.

Votes: 31 25.0%
  • Other.

Votes: 1 0.8%
Back