Phosphates At 0.18 Can I Run Two Bags Of Chemi Pure?

ShaggyRS6

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
So I finally got a Hanna Pho’s checker. My Pho’s is at 0.18, which would explain why some SPS are not doing well. I am running Chemi Pure Elite, have a jar of blue. Can I stick that in at the same time to try and get it down?

Idoc

Getting lazier and lazier with upkeep!
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I wouldn't panic and attempt to bring the phosphates down slowly rather than doing it too quickly. Isn't the chemi-pure elite bringing down the phosphates at all?

rmurken

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
What are your nitrates? A few of us are chatting in various threads about how we’re nitrate-limited, which inhibits uptake of PO4. One approach is to dose a bit of nitrate. Counterintuitive, but the theory adds up, and it people have had success with it.

If your NO3 is undetectable, that’s a strategy you could consider. Also cheaper than chemipure!

Waters

"...in perfect isolation, here behind my wall."
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
What size tank do you have? I haven't had a whole lot of luck reducing phosphates using ChemiPure in anything but really small tank. Have you thought about using a reactor with GFO?

Dkeller_nc

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I'd be quite cautious about interpreting that the cause of your SPS not doing well is phosphate in the 0.180 ppm range. While high phosphate can inhibit coral calcification, 0.18 ppm is definitely not excessive. Many of us keep our phosphate in the range of 0.1 ppm - 0.3 ppm intentionally (along with suitable nitrate concentrations in the 5-10 ppm range).

One aspect of the phosphate question that is reproducible is that Acropora in particular don't do well when existing relatively high phosphate concentration is dropped quite rapidly (i.e., less than 2 weeks). It's definitely the instinct of a lot of aquarists to "clean up messes", including what we perceive to be out-of-whack water chemistry parameters, but in this case, doing so rapidly almost invariably kills corals.

dbjonesjr

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I second what has been said. I used to try and chase phosphate numbers but it didn’t only hurt my corals. If you do anything, adjust your feeding habits and let the phosphate come down overtime.

Randy Holmes-Farley

Reef Chemist
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
What are your nitrates? A few of us are chatting in various threads about how we’re nitrate-limited, which inhibits uptake of PO4. One approach is to dose a bit of nitrate. Counterintuitive, but the theory adds up, and it people have had success with it.

If your NO3 is undetectable, that’s a strategy you could consider. Also cheaper than chemipure!
I wouldn’t say that is counter intuitive. It’s the very definition of being nitrate limited.

Now this is counter intuitive even for most chemists: Mix pH 8.2 seawater with pH 7 fresh water and get pH 8.3 in the final mixture. True, but the reasons are complex and not intuitive, at least before it is explained.

ReefHomieJon

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
So I finally got a Hanna Pho’s checker. My Pho’s is at 0.18, which would explain why some SPS are not doing well. I am running Chemi Pure Elite, have a jar of blue. Can I stick that in at the same time to try and get it down?
My phosphates are at .5, nitrates at 5ppm and my sps are doing great. I Wouldnt jump to the conclusion that your phosphates are the cause of your sps troubles too quickly.....

rmurken

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I wouldn’t say that is counter intuitive. It’s the very definition of being nitrate limited.

Now this is counter intuitive even for most chemists: Mix pH 8.2 seawater with pH 7 fresh water and get pH 8.3 in the final mixture. True, but the reasons are complex and not intuitive, at least before it is explained.
I am no chemist but I enjoy chemistry humor!

When to mix up fish meal: When was the last time you tried a different brand of food for your reef?

• I regularly change the food that I feed to the tank.

Votes: 38 24.4%
  • I occasionally change the food that I feed to the tank.

Votes: 52 33.3%
  • I rarely change the food that I feed to the tank.

Votes: 47 30.1%
  • I never change the food that I feed to the tank.

Votes: 15 9.6%
  • Other.

Votes: 4 2.6%
Back