Phosphates climbing - Please help

DarkReefer

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hi guys,

Recently I noticed that my phosphates have been climbing slowly.
Fast forward 2 days ago and I tested and it was 0.181ppm, yesterday I went and bought a media reactor and some rowaphos.

After searching around trying to find some info on an easy way to work out dosage I came across http://www.rowaphos-calculator.com/ that some people appeared to be recommending.
I tried that and it told me to put in 36ml, I put in something close to that into the reactor and let it do it's thing.
My skimmer started overloading pretty quick so I turned that down a little, it's since had a very healthy looking bubble froth on the top but doesn't seem to be dropping down into the cup THAT much that I've been able to notice at least... (was this the wrong thing to do?).

Today I tested and saw my phosphates had doubled since my last test Approximately 0.36*

Does anyone have the best non scientific (ie confusing) calculation for dosing this stuff, I don't want to overload it and have it drop to 0.

My system is approximately 250L (Waterbox 70.2).

I'm intending to use this stuff to get it down to the 0.04 ish mark, and then I was looking to change to Fauna Marin Ultra Phos 0.04 which has a guarantee of not dropping below that.

Thanks in advance

NowGlazeIT

Happy to help, Ask away.
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
My experience with Rowa was slow starting. Took a few days to start seeing a noticeable decrease. If your concerned then double your dose and monitor daily. It might be the right call, at the rate your po4 is climbing.

OP
OP
DarkReefer

DarkReefer

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Okay, so thought I'd run the test again... now I'm getting a reading of 0.07. This is with the Hanna ULR HI764.
I then did a test with Salifert and it wasn't showing any blue to it (looked almost clear/white) on the test card.

Does anyone else have inconsistencies with this test kit? I've noticed before that every 2nd test on the Hanna seems to be different.

So contrary to my original post... it seems it's dropping as intended (provided the first test I did 2 days ago was even correct?).

Rock solid aquascape: Does the weight of the rocks in your aquascape matter?

• The weight of the rocks is a key factor.

Votes: 12 8.6%
  • The weight of the rocks is one of many factors.

Votes: 48 34.5%
  • The weight of the rocks is a minor factor.

Votes: 45 32.4%
  • The weight of the rocks is not a factor.

Votes: 32 23.0%
  • Other.

Votes: 2 1.4%
Back