Phosphates from Calcium Reactor Media

blstravler

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
So usually I don’t really need to worry about phosphates. But recently they got up to .1 I like to have them below .05. So no problem I added GFO they came down for a few days (.03) then went right back up. I repeated this cycle 3 times. It keeps going right up again - it’s currently at .08.

The only thing I did recently was replace my CalRx with a larger unit and when I did this I replaced my Media with Caribsea ARM (same as I was previously using) so I checked my effluent and it was outputting .12 Phos at 60ml a minute or almost 23 gal a day on approx 120 total gallons (minus rock) seems like the source to me?

I’ve never tested my effluent Phos before but this is the only thing I have found to be a possible source. Maybe I just got a bad batch of ARM?

Has anyone out these tested other types of media to check Phos output?

With all of this said my SPS seem happy as can be. So I’m not inclined to change anything at the same time I can’t stand using GFO.

vetteguy53081

Well known Member and monster tank lover
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
14   0   0
It can be media or false reading in which with new CA media in place, recheck in 48 hours

vetteguy53081

Well known Member and monster tank lover
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
14   0   0
The media has been in the reactor for 4 weeks. Maybe it just needs more time? I checked the effluent Phos 3 times as I was a little shocked and all readings were the same.
Depending on bubble count it could be taking longer
You can add a pouch of chemipure blue or elite which will keep phosphate in check

Randy Holmes-Farley

Reef Chemist
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
You can always measure the phosphate in the effluent, but unless it is super high, the addition from it is smaller than the daily additions from foods, which are usually on the order of 0.05 to 0.2 ppm daily.

OP
OP
blstravler

blstravler

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
You can always measure the phosphate in the effluent, but unless it is super high, the addition from it is smaller than the daily additions from foods, which are usually on the order of 0.05 to 0.2 ppm daily.

Hi Randy - current effluent Phos is .12 @ 60ml a minute so 23 gal a day on 120ish gal of actual water volume (maybe a little more).

Randy Holmes-Farley

Reef Chemist
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hi Randy - current effluent Phos is .12 @ 60ml a minute so 23 gal a day on 120ish gal of actual water volume (maybe a little more).

That's a small addition relative to foods. If the effluent is 0.04 ppm higher than the tank, and you flow in 1/5th of the tank volume daily, that's less than 0.01 ppm per day boost. Foods are higher (typically 0.02 to 0.3 ppm daily):

Just grow it: Have you ever added CO2 to your reef tank?

• I currently use a CO2 with my reef tank.

Votes: 8 7.0%
  • I don’t currently use CO2 with my reef tank, but I have in the past.

Votes: 4 3.5%
  • I have never used CO2 with my reef tank, but I plan to in the future.

Votes: 5 4.4%
  • I have never used CO2 with my reef tank and have no plans to in the future.

Votes: 92 80.7%
  • Other.

Votes: 5 4.4%
Back