Phosphorus ULR vs Phosphate ULR

canadianeh

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I am confused what is the difference between the two Hanna Checkers. Is one more accurate than the other?

DeniableArc

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I use the phosphorus ULR because I believe it is more accurate. It’s easy to convert using a chart from Hanna

Lasse

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
They are basicaly the same. Phosphorous ULR give you the result as ppb P and you need to calculate ppm PO4 by your self. Phosphate ULR give your the result in ppm PO4 directly.

Sincerely Lasse

OP
OP
canadianeh

canadianeh

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
They are basicaly the same. Phosphorous ULR give you the result as ppb P and you need to calculate ppm PO4 by your self. Phosphate ULR give your the result in ppm PO4 directly.

Sincerely Lasse
is one more accurate than the other like some say?

homer1475

Figuring out the hobby one coral at a time.
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
No they are both the same kit.

The only difference is Hanna realised we were using the phosphorus ULR and decided to make a phosphate ULR so we didn't have to do the math to convert PPB to PPM.

Similar to the ALK kit. It originally only came in a PPM version and we had to convert to DKH ourselves. Now @Hanna Instruments now makes the ALK checker in DKH so we don't have to do the math.

Larry L

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
The URL Phosphorus checker is slightly more accurate (according to Hanna's specs) than the URL Phosphate checker, in the range we're typically looking for.

For example, a reading of 0.04 ppm in the Phosphate checker could mean the actual value is anywhere from 0.018 or 0.062 ppm, while an equivalent reading of 13 ppb on the Phosphorus checker could mean an actual phosphate value anywhere from 0.023 to 0.057 ppm, which is a little bit tighter.

(That's assuming no user error when using either one of them.)

See: http://larryl.emailplus.org/fish/test-kit-calculators.html

Chac317

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I have had both. I recently switched to the phosphate ULR just because of the time out feature on my phosphorous one, that was super annoying but maybe I was just slow. Both seem to give roughly the same readout but as others have stated the phosphorous can give you smaller increments on ppm phosphate if that’s what you’re looking for

Chac317

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I printed this chart out for when I was using the phosphorous checker

CBD4EF09-3551-4050-A4B2-3AB40DBE2206.jpeg

PatW

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I understand that the phosphorus ULR has a lower low end and lower high end than the phosphate tester. If you are planning on running low Nutrients for an SPS dominant system, get the phosphorous tester. If you do not plan on doing so, the phosphate tester will work.

OP
OP
canadianeh

canadianeh

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Thanks I think I am going to get the phosphorus ULR one.

Another question, since it is "Ultra Low Range", does it mean it won't detect anything that is high or super high?

Larry L

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Thanks I think I am going to get the phosphorus ULR one.

Another question, since it is "Ultra Low Range", does it mean it won't detect anything that is high or super high?

I also have the 736 ULR Phosphorus checker. It reads up to 200 ppb phosphorus, which corresponds to 0.613 ppm (or higher) phosphate. So still pretty high compared to what people typically want to run their tanks at. My tank runs pretty high phosphates, so whenever my test reads at 200 (i.e. 0.613 ppm or higher) I treat with Phosphate Rx in a dose that should bring it down within range, and then retest in case it actually was a lot higher than 0.613 ppm. And then redose if needed to bring it down more.

When to mix up fish meal: When was the last time you tried a different brand of food for your reef?

• I regularly change the food that I feed to the tank.

Votes: 35 26.3%
  • I occasionally change the food that I feed to the tank.

Votes: 44 33.1%
  • I rarely change the food that I feed to the tank.

Votes: 41 30.8%
  • I never change the food that I feed to the tank.

Votes: 9 6.8%
  • Other.

Votes: 4 3.0%
Back