Phosphorus vs phosphate

Guy714

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
My ICM test is showing elevated phosphorus but no phosphate. What’s the difference between the two and how can I fix the problem? I appreciate all input.

Dkeller_nc

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
If you mean an "ICP test", realize that ICP quantitates elements (e.g., Carbon, Nitrogen, Phosphorus, Zinc, etc...), not compounds. And in a reef tank environment, most of the phosphorus would be in the form of inorganic phosphates and organic compounds that include phosphorus as part of their structure.

Zach W

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
And if its reported in ppb your conversion will give you your PO4 level in ppb. If you want to get to ppm you just multiply by 1000.

Randy Holmes-Farley

Reef Chemist
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
My ICM test is showing elevated phosphorus but no phosphate. What’s the difference between the two and how can I fix the problem? I appreciate all input.

Can you tell us exactly what you got and from who?

Those two tests are done differently and detect different things, but generally the explanation lies in interpretation, not in having only forms of phosphorus that are not detectable as phosphate.

OP
OP
G

Guy714

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hi Randy,

It's from the same ICP ATI test. I'm attaching a screenshot. I'm confused to whether I should add phosphate to my tank?

Screen Shot 11-13-19 at 06.23 PM.PNG

Randy Holmes-Farley

Reef Chemist
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Did you ever get any kind of explanation about this? I ask as I am showing something similar on my ICP Test.
Thanks.

WHat is the concern?

ICP measures phosphorus, and they just multiply up the value to get the value as if it was all phosphate.

Marty's Reef

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Actually after some more reading I now understand it is the same values just expressed in different fashions. Guess they make it a little confusing by giving both. Lol

Randy Holmes-Farley

Reef Chemist
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Actually after some more reading I now understand it is the same values just expressed in different fashions. Guess they make it a little confusing by giving both. Lol

I originally thought they actually measured both, which would be much more interesting. :)

Creating a strong bulwark: Did you consider floor support for your reef tank?

• I put a major focus on floor support.

Votes: 43 41.7%
  • I put minimal focus on floor support.

Votes: 22 21.4%
  • I put no focus on floor support.

Votes: 35 34.0%
  • Other.

Votes: 3 2.9%
Back