Photo contest overhaul

MrDJeep123

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I propose an overhaul to how the photo contests are done.

I'm not exactly sure of the logistics in doing so but here are some suggestions:

First and foremost, make the submissions anonymous. Whomever is the "overseer" of the contest receives the submissions via PM. The PMs have to have a specific title so as not to be deleted and if they don't carry certain requirements, the photo is disqualified. The same as if the contestant double posted or didn't pay attention to the rules as they currently are written. They can be submitted by upload or via link as some of them are posted through 3rd party websites. The "overseer" posts them to the thread at the time of voting after the deadline for submission has been reached or posts them in the thread as they come to them. This does create more work for whomever moderates the photography contests, but this would be a way to ensure fairness. As for copyright overlays, I say remove them, as it defeats the purpose of anonymous contestants. A bit of a tricky situation but I'm sure the powers that be can work something out.

Doing this ensures that everyone voting MUST do so based upon the content of the photo (as is the intention of the photo contest) and NOT based upon who uploads the photo. In essence, removing the popularity aspect of this. As I've seen many great photos posted by peeps who are lesser known and don't receive many votes, if any. The more popular forum users receive tons, even though their photo isn't one I'd write home about. It's subjective, and I understand this.
The other overhaul would be to put a limitation to how many times a single person can win in a given period. The prize is a porthole and a years subscription. How many portholes do you need?
I think that this would create a more fair system, and I think this would encourage more people to participate. Participation and inclusion is what we want for R2R is it not?

jasonandsarah

Sticks, sticks and more STICKS
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I've always wondered why the submissions aren't anonymous. Not that the best pictures doesn't win, but if there's 2-3 killer pics and 2 are newer people, most of the time the more well known person wins.
Please don't take what I'm saying as the pics that have won didn't deserve it, because they did. I'm just saying that sometimes (not always) the outcome would be different if no one knew who's pictures they were.

Looking for the spotlight: Do your fish notice the lighting in your reef tank?

• My fish seem to regularly respond to the lighting in my reef tank.

Votes: 63 75.0%
  • My fish seem to occasionally respond to the lighting in my tank.

Votes: 10 11.9%
  • My fish seem to rarely respond to the lighting in my tank.

Votes: 6 7.1%
  • My fish seem to never respond to the lighting in my tank.

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • I don’t pay enough attention to my fish to notice if they respond to the lighting.

Votes: 2 2.4%
  • I don’t have any fish in my tank.

Votes: 2 2.4%
  • Other.

Votes: 1 1.2%
Back