Photon v2 over shallow frag tank

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 1, Members: 0, Guests: 1)

Lost in the Sauce

BANGERANG!!!!
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Today I impulse bought the V2 from my LFS for my shallow frag tank.

Tank is 11" deep x 18" x 30"

Coral sit about 7" under the surface. Prominently mushrooms and Lps

I'd like to shoot for 100 -125 par average running the brs ratios across all channels

In having lots of trouble finding any existing par maps at 6" with various lighting levels.

I currently don't have access to a par meter but would like to get it up and running.

Does anyone have any resources available to help set the mounting height and channel intensities to get in the Ballpark in shooting for?

flashsmith

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I recently got a photon v2 16 for my frag tank. An IM 25 lagoon so similar size. I started blues and violet at 40%. Corals didn't like it. I'm at 30% now and everything is looking better. I'm using the included legs and I don't have a meter. I read somewhere that 30 to 40 is what others run these at on a shallow tank. Seems to be about right from what I've experienced so far in 3 weeks.

OP
OP
Lost in the Sauce

Lost in the Sauce

BANGERANG!!!!
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I recently got a photon v2 16 for my frag tank. An IM 25 lagoon so similar size. I started blues and violet at 40%. Corals didn't like it. I'm at 30% now and everything is looking better. I'm using the included legs and I don't have a meter. I read somewhere that 30 to 40 is what others run these at on a shallow tank. Seems to be about right from what I've experienced so far in 3 weeks.
Thanks for the reply. How high off of the water are you mounted?

What are you running your other channels at out of curiosity?

flashsmith

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Thanks for the reply. How high off of the water are you mounted?

What are you running your other channels at out of curiosity?
10" off the surface. Red/green 5%, royal 30% cool blue 30% white 0% violet 30%. I'm by no means an expert. That's what looks good to my eye and the corals seem to be liking it. Mostly lps and a few acros. I'm going to slowly go back up to 40 but it seemed a bit much to start. That little light packs a punch.

Reef Breeders

ReefBreeders.com
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Yes they do but with quite a bit higher par than I'm shooting for.
You can adjust the intensity on these to reduce PAR- if the numbers are 2x reduce recommended intensity by half. Generally for a shallow tank like that you want to be at 18-24" above the water line

OP
OP
Lost in the Sauce

Lost in the Sauce

BANGERANG!!!!
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
You can adjust the intensity on these to reduce PAR- if the numbers are 2x reduce recommended intensity by half. Generally for a shallow tank like that you want to be at 18-24" above the water line
Thank you. I've got it installed and playing around with heights. The legs don't elevate it enough

flashsmith

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I'm using the supplied leg kit. Which is 10" above the water. I would prefer to use the tank mounted bracket but on my tank it's not recommended because the glass is too thin. Im using an IM 25 lagoon for my frag and using the v2 16. I can't seem to get it dialed in. Im running blues and violets only at 30% and it still may be too much.

Keeping it clean: Have you used a filter roller?

• I currently use a filter roller.

Votes: 72 35.3%
  • I don’t currently use a filter roller, but I have in the past.

Votes: 7 3.4%
  • I have never used a filter roller, but I plan to in the future.

Votes: 53 26.0%
  • I have never used a filter roller and have no plans to in the future.

Votes: 64 31.4%
  • Other.

Votes: 8 3.9%
Back