Photon V2 T5 Hybrid Kit!

Neo Jeo

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hello my Reefers!

I have had my Photon V2 for almost 10 months now. I love them. They have a slim look, low power consumption, budget friendly and lighting flexibility is unlimited even more so with the V2+ upgrade kit.

Why I want to add T5's to my lights you might ask? Well I just started getting into SPS. I got the WIFI coral box dosing kit and the BRS part 2, it seems to be helping my corals grow and they have opened even more. They are growing just fine under my current LED's but I'm looking to take it to the next level.

I ordered the new T5 Hybrid kit for the Photon V2! I have the 48" Photon V2 now.

Here are some info:
  • The 48″ T5 Hybrid Kit retails for $299.99
  • The brackets retail for $13.99
  • The Endcaps retail for $38.99
  • Our additional hardware retails for $11.99
  • That’s a total of $365
  • And we even pre-drill the brackets, saving you time and the need for power tools!

Reef Breeders has them on sale for $329.99 right now! Maybe on sale for release? Good deal, they even come with end cap's to make them more sleek.

The good news is these are the latest version of the Aquaticlife Hybrid kit with stainless steel endcaps. The older ones with rubber end caps got the bulbs stuck when cold. They solved that issue thankfully! So your getting the newest ones!

I'm also going to make a YouTube video on these when I get them! I don't work for Reed Breeders btw I just like there stuff ;)

Looking forward to my new light's @Reef Breeders

Check it out at:
https://www.reefbreeders.com/product-category/t5/

OP
OP
Neo Jeo

Neo Jeo

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Last week I got my new Hybird kit! Unfortunately it was missing some hardware. Logan ensured me going forward they will not forget. I had to wait a hole week and it says I get the hardware tomorrow. I sure hope so!

Least I put the lights together, it was easy but now it awaits.

Im wondering how much I should turn down my LEDs and how long I should run the T5 for per day to get the corals to adjust.

IMG_4491.jpg

Michael Llabona

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Last week I got my new Hybird kit! Unfortunately it was missing some hardware. Logan ensured me going forward they will not forget. I had to wait a hole week and it says I get the hardware tomorrow. I sure hope so!

Least I put the lights together, it was easy but now it awaits.

Im wondering how much I should turn down my LEDs and how long I should run the T5 for per day to get the corals to adjust.

IMG_4491.jpg
I did a retrofit in my canopy. My blues where at 70 and white at 35. I turned the blues down to 50 and whites to 20 when I added 2 blue plus. I slowly ramped everything back up to my original values over like 2 months.

OP
OP
Neo Jeo

Neo Jeo

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Nice! What is the width of it? Hoping less than 18".
Can you angle the T5 reflectors at all? Like slightly in towards center of tank?

It comes to around 19 1/2" my tank depth is 24". The lights are solid, no way to adjust them inward. The plus is the ballast is on the outside closer to the rim of the tank so the lights are more centered. The LED's have about 2cm of room between so it's a nice fit. I just hope the light does not pour out all the way but I think its going to be perfect.

Ill be making a YouTube vid soon. Prob Sunday.

OP
OP
Neo Jeo

Neo Jeo

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I did a retrofit in my canopy. My blues where at 70 and white at 35. I turned the blues down to 50 and whites to 20 when I added 2 blue plus. I slowly ramped everything back up to my original values over like 2 months.

Did you turn the T5's on the full burn time?

OP
OP
Neo Jeo

Neo Jeo

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I only use t5 during my peak intensity. 5 hours.

Well I got them up! They are 5” from the water. If I raise them more it will be a big task..

I don’t like the color combo. My cora colors are washed out unfortunately. It looks like a different tank. The leds on made everything pop and now it’s like yuk..

I have 2 Blue +
1 coral +
1 Atlantic

Any suggestions?

ReeferReefer

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
You could run all blue +. If you want it more white then run coral +. Those tend to be the best for corals. Adjust your leds from there to get the color you want.

OP
OP
Neo Jeo

Neo Jeo

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
You could run all blue +. If you want it more white then run coral +. Those tend to be the best for corals. Adjust your leds from there to get the color you want.

I turned down my LED white, it helped a little. Maybe I swap out the coral + for a blue and keep the 1 Atinic... IDK lol

OP
OP
Neo Jeo

Neo Jeo

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Here are some pics. I’m 5” off the water. Should I raise it? I need to rig the light hangers. I rather have it at 5” and turn the led down judging with a PAR meter.

I’ll have to remove that clip and attach it higher. I’ll get about 2” more.

Thoughts? @Ron Reefman

E6F6E4D3-D9BC-44D3-960B-2110AE996AAC.jpeg

AE9996E7-918D-4E27-86B1-3F5D0FC937F4.jpeg

4EE79070-13EA-4C22-BA22-F94FAF611C62.jpeg

TheEngineer

Formerly icecool2
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I just put a hybrid T5 over my system yesterday and also don't like the color. I messed around with the LEDs and got to a look I like. Mine are ~8" above the water. I had my LED 16" above before. I wound up turning the LED down to about 55% from 70%.

OP
OP
Neo Jeo

Neo Jeo

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I just put a hybrid T5 over my system yesterday and also don't like the color. I messed around with the LEDs and got to a look I like. Mine are ~8" above the water. I had my LED 16" above before. I wound up turning the LED down to about 55% from 70%.

I went from 75 to 40% I’ll raise to 50% faster.

Michael Llabona

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Well I got them up! They are 5” from the water. If I raise them more it will be a big task..

I don’t like the color combo. My cora colors are washed out unfortunately. It looks like a different tank. The leds on made everything pop and now it’s like yuk..

I have 2 Blue +
1 coral +
1 Atlantic

Any suggestions?
I would run the t5 when you are least likely to view the tank. T5 tend to have a very bland look especially if you are use to LEDs. My sunrise starts at 10am. T5 and max intensity on photons at noon. 5 pm t5 turns off and my photons ramp down slowly until 10pm. Dark from 11pm to 10am. I get home around 5. And for the most part view the tank with only LEDs. I view t5 as supplement lighting for coral health and growth. Not for looks.

OP
OP
Neo Jeo

Neo Jeo

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I would run the t5 when you are least likely to view the tank. T5 tend to have a very bland look especially if you are use to LEDs. My sunrise starts at 10am. T5 and max intensity on photons at noon. 5 pm t5 turns off and my photons ramp down slowly until 10pm. Dark from 11pm to 10am. I get home around 5. And for the most part view the tank with only LEDs. I view t5 as supplement lighting for coral health and growth. Not for looks.

Cool. So your max is 5Hrs then total with T5s?

dadnjesse

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
Max height for hangers . The company is great though sending me shorter hangers for free

0A963C19-7124-44E4-815E-4832C20AD945.jpeg
I was also missing the hardware and took a week to get them, and I think the hangers are too long, I have mine in the basement in my man cave that has a drop ceiling so I don't have the height. other wise they fit the Photon nice.

Form or function: Do you consider your rock work to be art or the platform for your coral?

• Primarily art focused.

Votes: 14 8.1%
  • Primarily a platform for coral.

Votes: 31 17.9%
  • A bit of each - both art and a platform.

Votes: 115 66.5%
  • Neither.

Votes: 7 4.0%
  • Other.

Votes: 6 3.5%
Back