Physics question for kalk dripper

drawman

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I want to make a kalk dripper in the near future and have a flow question. Basically I see the Kalk dripper could be made one of two ways both which have an elevated container full of kalkwasser connected to airline tubing with a ball valve on the end to drip kalk into my sump. Now the difference between the two. In the first scenario a hole is drilled on the bottom of the container so that gravity alone drains the container (similar to an IV bag). The second scenario would be a hole drilled on the top of the container, airline inserted an a siphon used to drain the container.

Now in the first scenario I see the flow slowing over time as the container drains since this container won't be elevated from a relatively tall height. In the second scenario I don't think this flow would change over time but am I incorrect? Or would that change just be not as dramatic? I don't see it as dependent on pressure but it's been a long time since I've had a physics class.

Idoc

Getting lazier and lazier with upkeep!
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I don't have a setup like this so let's see if anyone else has something similar.

HuduVudu

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
The problem with using valves of any kind to control flow of Kalk is that they foul VERY quickly. It is easier, less maintenance and cost effective to use a doser.

ca1ore

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I want to make a kalk dripper in the near future and have a flow question. Basically I see the Kalk dripper could be made one of two ways both which have an elevated container full of kalkwasser connected to airline tubing with a ball valve on the end to drip kalk into my sump. Now the difference between the two. In the first scenario a hole is drilled on the bottom of the container so that gravity alone drains the container (similar to an IV bag). The second scenario would be a hole drilled on the top of the container, airline inserted an a siphon used to drain the container.

Now in the first scenario I see the flow slowing over time as the container drains since this container won't be elevated from a relatively tall height. In the second scenario I don't think this flow would change over time but am I incorrect? Or would that change just be not as dramatic? I don't see it as dependent on pressure but it's been a long time since I've had a physics class.

don’t think it would make any difference .... well, other than the siphon method having a longer run of tubing. Head differential remains the same in either configuration. Less head means less pressure which means less flow as the container empties.

blasterman

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Exactly.

Conventional gate valves rely on gravity. As their back pressure and fluid drops they drip slower.

Innovative marine makes a drip acclimator that is all plastic and also doubles as a kalk drip. Its basically the same design as an IV drip so its not affected by gravity. Costs $10

Rjmul

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I made something similar out of a small orange juice bottle using the siphon method. I wouldn't trust the little airline valves to do any sort of heavy lifting. They are super inconsistent and hard to tune.

I only use the contraption when I need to dose let's say 6 mil of alk to adjust something. Or maybe 3 mil of lanthinum chloride. (In both cases I would Mix with RO water to add volume to the solution)

basically I only use it when I have to dose a small amount of something and I don't particularly care how or when it gets into the tank.
For your purposes, just use a doser.

Creating a strong bulwark: Did you consider floor support for your reef tank?

• I put a major focus on floor support.

Votes: 34 44.2%
  • I put minimal focus on floor support.

Votes: 19 24.7%
  • I put no focus on floor support.

Votes: 22 28.6%
  • Other.

Votes: 2 2.6%
Back