Phyto and air flow

Dave-T

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I've been growing phyto for a few weeks now, and have multiple cultures growing. I'm using the Poseidon Reef system. I've noticed that when I have two cultures that I started at the same time, the one getting more airflow grows faster. So clearly more airflow is better, but I'm wondering how far to take this. Has anyone played with this? I have a couple extra air pumps, maybe I should try blasting even more air into the cultures.

Rtaylor

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I've been growing phyto for a few weeks now, and have multiple cultures growing. I'm using the Poseidon Reef system. I've noticed that when I have two cultures that I started at the same time, the one getting more airflow grows faster. So clearly more airflow is better, but I'm wondering how far to take this. Has anyone played with this? I have a couple extra air pumps, maybe I should try blasting even more air into the cultures.
Water can become saturated with oxygen. Once saturation is achieved, additional oxygen won’t do anything. Also, it’s the CO2 that’s increasing the growth, not the oxygen (you’re using an air pump I assume, not pumping pure oxygen to your culture.).
Same principle applies with saturation of CO2.

OP
OP
D

Dave-T

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Yes, but it seems like it could also be the extra agitation, not the carbon dioxide, that makes a difference.

Rtaylor

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Yes, but it seems like it could also be the extra agitation, not the carbon dioxide, that makes a difference.
I agree keeping the phyto suspended increase’s growth. I use an air stone with my phyto for this reason. The stone creates almost a boiling type motion. It grows super fast, typically if I start with 1/3 gallon phyto and 2/3 gallons saltwater, it’s very dark in 2-3 days. And I just have it sitting by a window for lighting.

OP
OP
D

Dave-T

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Wow! That is fast! How long would an airstone last? Doesn't it get gunked up from the phyto eventually? Any other tips? My cultures take over a week to get reasonably dark. What temperature are your cultures at? What are you using for fertilizer and at what dosage?

Rtaylor

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Wow! That is fast! How long would an airstone last? Doesn't it get gunked up from the phyto eventually? Any other tips? My cultures take over a week to get reasonably dark. What temperature are your cultures at? What are you using for fertilizer and at what dosage?
I just bought a bunch of cheapo air stones ($12 for 50).

50 Pack 1 Inch Air Stone,Aquarium Air Stones, Cylinder Bubble Diffuser Airstone Fish Tank Bubbler Air Pump Accessories for Aquariums Hydroponics Grey (50 Pack) https://a.co/d/13AZ9xK

I’ve only been using them a couple months. They won’t get clogged up, but the saltwater will eventually break them down. I plan to replace them as I notice anything. I figure 50 will last years. So far no noticeable breakdown. I run 4 gallons of phyto, 2 nano and 2 tetris. 2 years ago I bought 1 gallon each of

Fritz Aquatics PRO - F/2 Algae Food PTA​

And

Fritz Aquatics PRO - F/2 Algae Food PTB​

They’re still at least half full. I put 6oz total in each gallon (3 oz part A and 3 oz part B).

I keep them at room temperature (~68 F), but they are in front of the window and I do notice it gets warmer there while it’s sunny.

OP
OP
D

Dave-T

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Thanks! I’d like to try the Fritz, but the part B doesn’t seem to be available anywhere.

OP
OP
D

Dave-T

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Haha. I’ll try it! I eventually found some part B. It’s weird. Nobody has it, but everyone has the part A.

Bubbles, bubbles, and more bubbles: Do you keep bubble-like corals in your reef?

• I currently have bubble-like corals in my reef.

Votes: 50 40.7%
  • I don’t currently have bubble-like corals in my reef, but I have in the past.

Votes: 15 12.2%
  • I don’t currently have bubble-like corals in my reef, but I plan to in the future.

Votes: 33 26.8%
  • I don’t currently have bubble-like corals in my reef and have no plans to in the future.

Votes: 23 18.7%
  • Other.

Votes: 2 1.6%
Back