Phytofeast culture crash?

besskurz

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I understand this is not the best way to culture as this product is a mix of different phyto varieties. One of them should outgrown the others. This was all eexpected. I was more interested in a different variety of phyto.

But I started to have a large deposit and the water is getting clear.

If anybody out there already tried to culture, is this is normal? ( the deposit)

I think this culture went down due to lack of F2, I usually add 2ml per 1liter but maybe due to the large amount of phyto they simply exhausted the food sources?

Pods at the front, phyto after 5days or so.

20240414_224313.jpg

At the begining

IMG-20240410-WA0023.jpg

tzabor10

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I culture my own but buy fresh batches every few months to keep it healthy. After two months the stuff I bought is usually dead.

OP
OP
besskurz

besskurz

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I was able to revive the culture with 2ml of F2.
The brown color phyto lost as expected.
Tomorrow is harvest day.

In the left side are the copepods. I'm awaiting them to breed but sounds like they are taking their time.

1000064646.jpg

markron

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I understand this is not the best way to culture as this product is a mix of different phyto varieties. One of them should outgrown the others. This was all eexpected. I was more interested in a different variety of phyto.

But I started to have a large deposit and the water is getting clear.

If anybody out there already tried to culture, is this is normal? ( the deposit)

I think this culture went down due to lack of F2, I usually add 2ml per 1liter but maybe due to the large amount of phyto they simply exhausted the food sources?

Pods at the front, phyto after 5days or so.

20240414_224313.jpg

apple ios 18 beta
At the begining

IMG-20240410-WA0023.jpg
Hey just wondering opinions on Phyto feast? My LFS says its really good and cannot lead to algae blooms.

I have a feeling they are wrong.. opinions?

Doctorgori

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hey just wondering opinions on Phyto feast? My LFS says its really good and cannot lead to algae blooms.

yeah they are wrong, sort of…
Algae blooms aren’t a function of phyto being present in the water (it would be highly unusual if it wasn’t) …
More likely a bloom following dosage might be excess f/2 or whatever …

OP
OP
besskurz

besskurz

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0

Hello, I'm quoting a reply of reef nutrition in Reef2reef.

"We have been selling phytoplankton into aquaculture and the hobby for a long time and we have never seen anyone show us unequivocally that phytoplankton significantly reduces nitrate and phosphate, which, by the way, aren't that only things they take up. Also keep in mind, that even if they do take up significant amounts of nitrate and phosphate, you would then need to remove them from the system: what goes in must come out. Even when the algae is being consumed, not all of it is being converted to biomass which means the animals consuming it are releasing waste, which needs to be exported by normal methods"

So, it does consume nitrates and phosphates. BUT don't expect miracles.
Not overfeeding and keeping macros will also assist in the journey of nutrient recycling.
Or.. just go in the old fashion, do WC's and you will remove a portion of the nutrients too. But again.. some of it will always be present.

Looking for the spotlight: Do your fish notice the lighting in your reef tank?

• My fish seem to regularly respond to the lighting in my reef tank.

Votes: 89 76.1%
  • My fish seem to occasionally respond to the lighting in my tank.

Votes: 14 12.0%
  • My fish seem to rarely respond to the lighting in my tank.

Votes: 8 6.8%
  • My fish seem to never respond to the lighting in my tank.

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • I don’t pay enough attention to my fish to notice if they respond to the lighting.

Votes: 2 1.7%
  • I don’t have any fish in my tank.

• Other.

Back