Phyto culture

jimmypencil

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
dont want to spend $50 a month on algae barn phyto so i want to start a culture. i already purchased a phyto culture kit several months ago that came with two containers and i used one to culture pods because it came with a container with rigid airline tubing etc. obviously the phyto i got with the kit is no longer useable so i want to get some more to start a culture, and i do still have the phyto fertilizer. im planning on getting ocean majik from algae barn again as i had great results with this. i can start a culture with this right? also i plan on putting the culture in my window for sunlight, does temperature mater for these cultures?

heres my plan lmk if anything is off

- half gallon container with rigid airline tubing through the lid going to a small air pump
- mix fresh saltwater to 1.025?? then add ocean magik phyto
- keep phyto in window for sunlight
- harvest 15-30 ml daily for my 50 gallon tank and change out portion of culture water weekly?

lynn.reef.nerd

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
3   0   0
ocean majik is a mix of several types. I recommend that you see Eldridge thread and hit him up for some single strain phyto. He can help you find a good one to start

Don't forget the fertilizer f2. I think Eldridge also sells that. @Eldredge

nothing_fancy

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
ocean majik is a mix of several types. I recommend that you see Eldridge thread and hit him up for some single strain phyto. He can help you find a good one to start

Don't forget the fertilizer f2. I think Eldridge also sells that. @Eldredge
Second that, Id be interested in knowing if natural sunlight works. Temperature does matter when it comes to cold. You could get some led strip lights from a hardware store or on amazon and wrap them around the jar, this is basically what Poseidon reef provides. Ive been culturing with ocean magic myself and it definitely works but it seems that one strain will outcompete the others so unless you have a microscope you don't really know which one you're culturing. Works for me though. I make about a gallon and keep it in the fridge and it lasts me a month. I use the last 350ml in the jug to restart the next culture.

bradreef

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Basically you simply need an air pump and around $10 light. I am using the walmart version of miracle grow as i looked at the ingredients side by side and they were the same. $5 box of that will last for a year or more. Im using 2 liter bottles right now because it keeps multiplying.

I

reef_1

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
How often do you add fertilizer to the culture?
Tim
You can measure nutrient content in culture water with the standard reef tests, once that gets to zero you can top up.

But after a while it is better to get into a routine and dose enough at refill time to last until you refill again.

Algae invading algae: Have you had unwanted algae in your good macroalgae?

• I regularly have unwanted algae in my macroalgae.

Votes: 13 32.5%
  • I occasionally have unwanted algae in my macroalgae.

Votes: 8 20.0%
  • I rarely have unwanted algae in my macroalgae.

Votes: 3 7.5%
  • I never have unwanted algae in my macroalgae.

Votes: 5 12.5%
  • I don’t have macroalgae.

Votes: 10 25.0%
  • Other.

Votes: 1 2.5%
Back