Phytofeast live smell

gatorbait01

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I just bought a bottle of phytofeast live from my LFS. When I smell it, it smells pretty pungent. When I compare it to my old bottle of phytofeast (dead version) it's significantly more smelly. The dead version smells like artificial crab meat, while the new live version has a hint of crab meat, but much more odorous (not sure if that's a word) not totally rotten eggs, but perhaps going into that realm. Is this stuff is bad or on its way out? The expiration date on the bottle is Nov.

@Reef Nutrition

Mikedawg

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
The live phyto I buy has little smell, certainly not as you described. I would return it and smell the other bottles before you buy one.

Reef Nutrition

We Feed Your Reef
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I just bought a bottle of phytofeast live from my LFS. When I smell it, it smells pretty pungent. When I compare it to my old bottle of phytofeast (dead version) it's significantly more smelly. The dead version smells like artificial crab meat, while the new live version has a hint of crab meat, but much more odorous (not sure if that's a word) not totally rotten eggs, but perhaps going into that realm. Is this stuff is bad or on its way out? The expiration date on the bottle is Nov.

@Reef Nutrition
Hey there. Thanks for posting this here, and I really appreciate you tagging us. I'm going to start a conversation with you so we can get all the details and make this right.

Best,
Chad

dcsorrell

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0

@Reef Nutrition
I had that happen a few times. The last time I purchased live phyto at my lfs, I opened the bottle in the store after I paid for it. They didn't mind at all, and it potentially saved me a return trip to exchange it.

OP
OP
G

gatorbait01

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
My LFS did make it right. I will always smell it before I buy next time. I thought it was funny when I brought it back to the store and said "smell this" and every employee in the LFS acted like I was crazy to ask them and tried to pass it down to someone else.

When to mix up fish meal: When was the last time you tried a different brand of food for your reef?

• I regularly change the food that I feed to the tank.

Votes: 38 24.1%
  • I occasionally change the food that I feed to the tank.

Votes: 54 34.2%
  • I rarely change the food that I feed to the tank.

Votes: 47 29.7%
  • I never change the food that I feed to the tank.

Votes: 15 9.5%
  • Other.

Votes: 4 2.5%
Back