OceanMagik (was originally) Live PhytoPlankton

Reefbeast

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
HI all,

I bought a bottle of Ocean Magic from BRS about a month and a half ago. Im assuming this is all dead by now even though I kept it refrigerated. I have still been adding it to my tank because It doesn't smell rancid it still smells OK to me and when it was alive it seemed like my corals loved it. Is it OK to keep putting dead Phyto into the tank? Or should I just chuck it? Could the dead Phyto be hurting anything?

dkelley

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
If it doesn't smell like rotting broccoli then it's probably not dead. I make phyto and it can be refrigerated for roughly 5 months. If it doesn't stink it likely isn't dead. I'm fairly new around this hobby so hopefully someone with more experience chimes in.

Allaric

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
If it doesn't smell like rotting broccoli then it's probably not dead. I make phyto and it can be refrigerated for roughly 5 months. If it doesn't stink it likely isn't dead. I'm fairly new around this hobby so hopefully someone with more experience chimes in.

Do you use the phyto in your tanks? I was interested in growing some so I didn't need to keep buying it, but I was concerned about putting the fertilized water back into the fish tank.

dkelley

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Do you use the phyto in your tanks? I was interested in growing some so I didn't need to keep buying it, but I was concerned about putting the fertilized water back into the fish tank.
Yes I do. I don't have any issues with it. Theoretically the fertilizer is being consumed each week by the phyto so if any is getting by it's so small overall.

kurbanas

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
If you kept it chilled and haven't opened it, it is probably good. I have used OceanMagik > 1 mo after receiving it.

Dinkins Aquatic Gardens

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
If it smells fine then it probably is…the things that would tend to harm your tank (such as ammonia from decomposition) tend to have a really foul smell.

Keeping it clean: Have you used a filter roller?

• I currently use a filter roller.

Votes: 42 31.1%
  • I don’t currently use a filter roller, but I have in the past.

Votes: 5 3.7%
  • I have never used a filter roller, but I plan to in the future.

Votes: 34 25.2%
  • I have never used a filter roller and have no plans to in the future.

Votes: 48 35.6%
  • Other.

Votes: 6 4.4%
Back