Phytoplankton and Nano Reefs...

waverider

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I have a Waterbox 20 AIO that has been running for a month. I started with Cured Live Rock from my main display tank, water from my main display tank and filter media from my display system, so this system had a huge head start. I have a pair of small Black Storm Clowns and a Firefish. A cleaner crew of about 5 hermit crabs and a pair of Mexican Turbo snails. A few Acans and some GSP to start and these starter Corals and all are doing very well.

*Tonight I dosed 3ml of Area 51 Phytoplankton after lights out.

What should I expect? Thoughts and comments on dosing Phytoplankton on a new nano reef greatly appreciated.

homer1475

Figuring out the hobby one coral at a time.
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I've been a firm believer in live phyto dosing for many years now!

Phyto is a basic building block of life in a reef tank, and feeds all that little tiny micro life we all strive for. I've never seen anything bad, other then it start growing in the tank if overdosed, from dosing phyto.

Subsea

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I've been a firm believer in live phyto dosing for many years now!

Phyto is a basic building block of life in a reef tank, and feeds all that little tiny micro life we all strive for. I've never seen anything bad, other then it start growing in the tank if overdosed, from dosing phyto.
#10 to what Homer said

I would encourage you to seed live pods to your system.

Mr. Mojo Rising

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
you shouldn't expect anything really. A lot of it will be filtered/skimmed out, some will die, some will feed your corals and filter feeders and micro animals such as copepods and amphipods, but your eyes will not see anything. Not unless you put so much that your water turns green, but you don't want to do that. At most you will see an increase of copepods on your glass in a few days/weeks.

Being sticky and staying connected: Have you used any reef-safe glue?

• I have used reef safe glue.

Votes: 119 88.1%
  • I haven’t used reef safe glue, but plan to in the future.

Votes: 8 5.9%
  • I have no interest in using reef safe glue.

Votes: 5 3.7%
  • Other.

Votes: 3 2.2%
Back