Phytoplankton Propagation Station is ready to get up and running

DerpFish

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Just finished getting the phytoplankton propagation station set up and ready for cultures.

All of the "-ade" bottles that my boyfriend drinks finally came of use, as they were the perfect size and sturdy enough to be used as the phytoplankton containers. I just had to drill a couple of holes in the top of each, pop some rigid airline tubing in, and connect them to a variable speed air pump. They are all lit by a LED grow light bar behind them.

I was able to get some good turbulence from the bubbles and the light is surprisingly bright, so I'm hopeful that this set-up will work well for me.

I have three strains of marine phytoplankton ordered from Algae Research and Supply; Tetraselmis, Isochrysis galbana, and Porphyridium cruentum.

Once the cultures start producing I plan on feeding directly to my mixed reef and also starting a couple of copepod cultures.

I'm hoping that by providing my tank and live foods a strong base of nutrient rich phytoplankton that I can improve my reef tank's overall health and appearance.

PXL_20220710_162422003.jpg

Last edited:

MnFish1

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
My comment - I have never had a phytoplankton propagation station. IMHO - unless you have a specific reason for it - dont do it.

((FORDTECH))

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I have found that just culturing 1 strain and 1 strain of pods is a huge amount of work to keep up on. For first couple months it’s cool but then the weekly harvesting added to all my other system chores is a lot. I’m very glad I did not decide on multiple strains.

((FORDTECH))

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
IMO use larger containers and many less. Gallon size glass mason jars work well. I say this because Phyto cultures generally need to be cleaned after a week or two when harvested the bottle you have will be very hard to clean whereas a gallon mason jar you can stick your Arm in with rubbing alcohol and then let air dry for an hour and reuse

Daveobrien

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Just about to harvest my 14th "weekly" (7-10days) harvest. Chose to go the Poseidon Reef PhytoTank route, just because it was turn key. Growing all Nano for now.

Weekly harvests are <1hr, thanks to growing phyto in plastic bags lining each jar. Sterilization is as simple as New Bag, New Air hose (RO tubing), and quick swipe of the lid with rubbing alcohol.

PM me if you want a link to my grow threads on our club site.

Currently dosing about 32oz of phyto a day into my 250 display tank. Only way to make this practical ($) is to grow it myself.

OP
OP
DerpFish

DerpFish

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
My comment - I have never had a phytoplankton propagation station. IMHO - unless you have a specific reason for it - dont do it.
Fair enough. I personally believe there is a benefit to creating a diverse microbiome in my reef tank which includes phytoplankton. I am currently feeding Algaebarn's phytoplankton and enjoy setting up systems like this so I figured I'd just grow it myself.

OP
OP
DerpFish

DerpFish

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Phyto.... the Mothers Milk of the ocean... I can't imagine NOT using it.
But everyone has different successes and failures in this hobby for very different reasons.
My thoughts exactly. Phytoplankton is one of the first links in the natural oceanic food chain, so it is something I want in my reef. But everyone is going to find their own way to run their tank.

OP
OP
DerpFish

DerpFish

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
IMO use larger containers and many less. Gallon size glass mason jars work well. I say this because Phyto cultures generally need to be cleaned after a week or two when harvested the bottle you have will be very hard to clean whereas a gallon mason jar you can stick your Arm in with rubbing alcohol and then let air dry for an hour and reuse
I definitely do plan on getting larger containers when I upgrade my tank, so I'll keep the mason jars in mind. Right now I just dump a bit of rubbing alcohol in each and swish it around a bit before dumping it and letting it dry.

OP
OP
DerpFish

DerpFish

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Just about to harvest my 14th "weekly" (7-10days) harvest. Chose to go the Poseidon Reef PhytoTank route, just because it was turn key. Growing all Nano for now.

Weekly harvests are <1hr, thanks to growing phyto in plastic bags lining each jar. Sterilization is as simple as New Bag, New Air hose (RO tubing), and quick swipe of the lid with rubbing alcohol.

PM me if you want a link to my grow threads on our club site.

Currently dosing about 32oz of phyto a day into my 250 display tank. Only way to make this practical ($) is to grow it myself.
32oz a day would absolutely break the bank if you were buying it

jason24365

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I have found that just culturing 1 strain and 1 strain of pods is a huge amount of work to keep up on. For first couple months it’s cool but then the weekly harvesting added to all my other system chores is a lot. I’m very glad I did not decide on multiple strains.
to be honest weekly harvesting i found to not be ideal, they might breed but if you let them quadtriple before harvesting then ever week or 2 will have good results

Creating a strong bulwark: Did you consider floor support for your reef tank?

• I put a major focus on floor support.

Votes: 57 39.6%
  • I put minimal focus on floor support.

Votes: 33 22.9%
  • I put no focus on floor support.

Votes: 49 34.0%
  • Other.

Votes: 5 3.5%
Back