Phytoplankton question

Tyler_Fishman

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
How long can the culture be stored in the bottle with a light source? I have no f2 fertalizer so I have to wait until I purchse it.

KMench

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I've had success culturing it using liquid miracle grow instead of buying F2. I just add a bit of miracle grow every time I split the culture.

OP
OP
Tyler_Fishman

Tyler_Fishman

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I've had success culturing it using liquid miracle grow instead of buying F2. I just add a bit of miracle grow every time I split the culture.
I assume that would work as phytoplankton is essentially algae and grows off fertalizer, my only concern is that if miracle grow is reef safe?

KMench

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Total Nitrogen - 24% .....3.5% ammoniacal nitrogen .....20.5% urea nitrogen Available Phosphate - 8% Soluble Potash - 16% Boron - 0.02%, Copper - 0.07%, Iron - 0.15%, Manganese - 0.05%, Molybdenum - 0.0005%, Zinc - 0.06%

Here's the active ingredients based on a quick google search. I've read other people who use miracle grow to culture phyto. I'm only adding 10 ml to 1 liter and feeding it to copepod culture, or adding a small amount to the tank daily.

reeftigergal

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Oh My Gosh, Are U kidding me? I been doing phyto and rotifers, and copepods for years.
I would be scared to death to use miracle grow! What even made you think that far outside the box?
Any crashes? How the heck does it work? Has to be tons cheaper but afraid would poison clown fry I breed?
Can U elaborate a bit more on it please?

KMench

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Lol, I googled a while ago and actually came across quite a few people who used miracle grow and had some at home, so I gave it a shot. Haven’t had any crashes. I would be a bit worried just because it’s not meant for that task (especially when breeding fish), but I haven’t had any problems. I just mix up some and dose 10ml of it every time I split my cultures. They’re in milk jugs in the window sill with an air pump at about a bubble a second.

sde1500

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Oh My Gosh, Are U kidding me? I been doing phyto and rotifers, and copepods for years.
I would be scared to death to use miracle grow! What even made you think that far outside the box?
Any crashes? How the heck does it work? Has to be tons cheaper but afraid would poison clown fry I breed?
Can U elaborate a bit more on it please?

Many use miracle grow, many avoid it. The copper levels are debate-ably concerning. It still contains all the nutrients to grow plants, while leaning terrestrial of course, marine plants require most of the same stuff.

KMench

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
You’ve made me google some more and I actually just found an article about feeding phyto the skimmate from your main tank. Interesting...

Edit: forget this. Sounds like a terrible idea on second thought.

reeftigergal

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
That's really cool. Thanks for the info. I'm going to try using it,
Quick question. Can the miracle grow be used to enhance toe rotifers and copepods instead of the spirlla (msp) lol, and others?

KMench

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I would be inclined to say no. Spirulina is an algae that they eat and you’re gut loading. Miracle grow is a fertilizer you’re feeding to the phyto to give them nutrients to grow. Different concepts. ;)

reeftigergal

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Many use miracle grow, many avoid it. The copper levels are debate-ably concerning. It still contains all the nutrients to grow plants, while leaning terrestrial of course, marine plants require most of the same stuff.

Thank You, never considered the copper factor. .

reeftigergal

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I would be inclined to say no. Spirulina is an algae that they eat and you’re gut loading. Miracle grow is a fertilizer you’re feeding to the phyto to give them nutrients to grow. Different concepts. ;)

Ok, I get it better now. Dang, that would have been a heck of a lot cheaper though. LOL, like always if U want cheap in this hobby, go visit your friends tanks. Thanks

sde1500

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Technically a cyanobacteria

That's really cool. Thanks for the info. I'm going to try using it,
Quick question. Can the miracle grow be used to enhance toe rotifers and copepods instead of the spirlla (msp) lol, and others?
No, certainly not. It is a plant fertilizer, not a food source for those. If you culture phyto why are gutloading with other stuff. A good mix of phyto should be enough. Or just keep going and start culturing spirulina as well, would be easy enough.

reeftigergal

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Sorry, I meant using it on the phyto, not the rotifers & copepods. Fhewww!
Didn't mean to freak ya all out like that. Got your hearts a beating huh? Sorry about that, LOL
Was funny though the reaction it got. . . .

KMench

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
So you're asking if using the miracle grow on your phyto plankton is safe? I guess that's personal preference to how risk averse you are.

reeftigergal

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Yeah, the more I ponder with it, my hypothesis is staying with what I know works. Thanks for all the info. Interesting as it all is, utilizing mainstay methodology works best for me.

Ingenuity against algae: Do you use DIY methods for controlling nuisance algae?

• I have used DIY methods for controlling algae.

Votes: 44 47.3%
  • I use commercial methods for controlling algae, but never DIY methods.

Votes: 21 22.6%
  • I have not used commercial or DIY methods for controlling algae.

Votes: 22 23.7%
  • Other.

Votes: 6 6.5%
Back